5 replies to this topic

#1 Mcbudge

Mcbudge

Passed Test

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:21 PM

Whats the best way to protect the inner wings? Im just about to fit new inner wings (holes cut and theyre ready to go!) but I want to protect them best I can before hand! Any suggestions?
Thanks!

#2 Its a min

Its a min

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:09 PM

I've heard good stories about Bilt Hamber. I've also heard people have used Hammerite paint but panels need to be perfectly dry.

Having seen my previous Mini attacked by the rust worm (it was my first car and I was new to the car scene), when I bought my current Mini, one of the first things I did was buy some Waxoyl Underseal (the black stuff) and coated the underneath of the car and inside the wings. The visible parts of the arches was coated liberally with normal Waxoyl as the car is red and didn't want the arches black. That was back in 1989 when there wasn't much around (well not that I knew of) and waxoyl was the thing to use.

Almost 30 years on and the only panels I've had to change was the two door skins and the bonnet where it rusted all along under the chrome trim. None of these panels had been waxoyled so was lucky really.

That's not bad for a car that was a daily driver up until 2010, left out in all conditions in London, spent weeks travelling around Europe and lived in northern Italy for 5 years where the winters are harsh and therefore, the roads gritted to hell.

As I said though, this was done almost 30 years ago and there may well be better products on the market these days but I won't be scraping the waxoyl off as long as it's doing it's job.

Edited by Its a min, 17 May 2018 - 10:10 PM.

#3 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:39 PM

Depends on intended use, mine is just a summer car and I applied epoxy mastic, seam sealed all joints then a few coats of tintable raptor in body colour, worked really well and should be hard wearing and it went on really easy.
If a daily then I would think some of the plastic shields under front wings would be a good idea,

#4 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 01:16 PM

I'm trying these:

https://www.minispar...|Back to search

Seem a bit pricey but cheaper than replacing a rotten front end.  I'll remove them every now and then to check for rubbing as that could create a new problem otherwise.

If you don't want to use these (or even if you do) then protect well (remove existing rust/ paint/ rustproofing products) and keep as clean as possible i.e. don't let dirt build up for months on end - especially so if you use the vehicle during the cold months when road salt gets up there.

#5 WillCarter

WillCarter

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 01:55 PM

Always paint over any holes you cut/drill and hammerite is always good to use

#6 ashparry_

ashparry_

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 06:34 PM

Any bare metal key it up and spray a 2K epoxy primer on it. let dry, scotch brite it to key it and paint on top. or if you want better then epoxy then raptor liner it but that gives you a different finish

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users