DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 18 May 2018 - 09:56 AM

Hi,

Mrs veersix and I are going to see a couple of minis this weekend. One is an orange 1972 Clubman with a 998 engine. The other is a beige 1981 Mini HL with a 998 engine. Neither appears to have been modified.

From the photos that we've seen they both look to be in great condition. Mrs veersix prefers the HL and, of course, I prefer the Clubman (I'd love a 1275GT but we only have a budget of around £5k). The HL is advertised at £500 less than the Clubman.

Assuming both viewings go well and don't turn up any major issues, we will need some way to decide which one to buy. That's where, hopefully, you guys can help....

What are the negatives/positives of each model and what are the differences? One obvious one that springs to mind is that I'm pretty sure the Clubman has drums brakes all round whereas I don't think the HL does, but I could, I guess, replace the drums with minifins all round or change the fronts to discs.

Anything else you guys can think of would be a great help.

Thanks.

They made fewer Clubman, and to the non-cognoscenti, all other minis are 'just a mini'

Edited by DeadSquare, 18 May 2018 - 12:39 PM.

#17 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:19 AM

My advice is to go for the most honest example, whether it's the Mk3 Clubman or mk4 HL.
If you do go for the mk3, just make sure the shell is correct...

What do you mean by that? Making sure the VINs match on the shell and the V5?

A genuine pre 73 clubman will have a round tunnel where the gear lever comes through, a later shell will be square in that area. Remote gear change not rod, roof gutter drip rails, stamped roof gutter drain holes not 'gaps' in the gutter. Solid mounted front subframe, pressing in the floor next to the gear lever for the floor mounted starter buttons from earlier cars. 2 large rocker switches for lights and wipers, plunger type washer pump, single stalk on column, single line brakes, small square pedal pads, not later coffin shape, ashtray brackets in rear pockets for pre 73ish cars. My 72 clubman estate also had vinyl covered 'a' pillars and rear pockets, not sure if clubman saloons had this.

#18 veersix

veersix

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 02:04 PM

Where would I expect to find the VIN numbers on these two cars as there don't appear to be VIN plates on the front of either of the cars if you see what I mean?

#19 imack

imack

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 02:36 PM

The clubman would have only got a riveted on plate on the front panel, this makes it very easy to swap the vin and reg plates to a later shell and create a tax free car.
The hl is probably new enough to have a riveted plate on the slam panel or inner wing and should also have the vin stamped into the scuttle panel lip where the bonnet closes onto it, but its prone to rust in thid area and becomes illegible. I have seen some cars of this age where the vin is stamped into the boot closure area

#20 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 03:00 PM

The clubby being older is naturally more 'classic' but the hl being round nose is more 'classic mini' to most people, everyone knows a mini from a front on picture even if they've never owned a car, a clubman less so.

#21 Jase

Jase

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:02 PM

You should still be able to pick up a reasonable GT for £5K

#22 veersix

veersix

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:24 PM

Tell me more :)

#23 veersix

veersix

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:26 PM

The orange Clubman is out of the running now. We can only see it on Sunday and the seller can't do Sunday (long story, but essentially we're basically touring most of southern England from Wakefield this weekend. Birmingham, then Cardiff, then Cambridge).

#24 Jase

Jase

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 07:50 AM

Tell me more :)

They are about, it's always the same when you want one you can only find very expensive ones. Don't rush keep looking.

#25 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,733 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 19 May 2018 - 06:20 PM

deleted

•  

•  
  •  
  •  

Edited by DeadSquare, 19 May 2018 - 06:34 PM.

#26 veersix

veersix

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 07:01 AM

Just to follow up on this. We drove around about 600 miles this weekend all in all. I was knackered by the time we got home on Sunday afternoon. Even then, I couldn't rest as I had won a MIG welder on eBay that needed collecting from Oldham so that was another 50 mile round trip.

Long story short we went for the HL in the end. It was in good condition and seemed to be an honest car (famous last words). We're going back down this weekend to collect it. 

Thanks for all of your advice. I'm sure this won't be the last time I'll be seeking it :D

Cheers,

Colin.

#27 imack

imack

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:43 AM

Good luck with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users