Photo

Am I Expecting Too Much, Doesn't Feel Quick After Fitting Supercharger.

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,823 posts
  • Local Club: Loan wolf

Posted 31 May 2018 - 03:30 PM

Blimey. Give em a call and see if they will swap out at a cost ( might be worth a try). Was the Vacuum one bought in error. Megajolts aren't as plug in and play, from my understanding.

#17 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,733 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 31 May 2018 - 03:55 PM

Website and ebay both at 240 mate, I originally got a good deal on the whole package. A series dizzy, amethyst unit and coil. Can't remember how much I paid for it but it was reasonable then I tried to fit it to my a+ series engine and obv the dizzys are different so spent like 180 on getting an a+ series dizzy off aldon.

I'm tempted just to rip the supercharger out and just run NA again if I have to start spending loads on it. Just wanted something that had overtaking potential.

Just wanted something that had overtaking potential.

Overtaking is potential business for Undertakers.

#18 Lt-SilverDragon

Lt-SilverDragon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 05:17 PM

Nah I bought it for my NA, I just feel 240 is excessive so will look into megajolt. Will give me better adjustment and I can use the aldon stuff on my other mini.

Finally fitted boost gauge, just recut an m10 threaded barb connector to the right size and hooked up an old boost gauge. So yeah that will be why it doesn't feel any different so I'll look into getting a reducer pulley.

#19 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 05:49 PM

..out of curiosity - what boost were you getting ?

#20 Lt-SilverDragon

Lt-SilverDragon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 06:09 PM

..out of curiosity - what boost were you getting ?

Hey bud, I figured I'd just upload a video as it's easier then me trying to explain. Hopefully quality is ok, that funny noise is the boost gauge by the way.

Youtube vid link

Oh yeah, the boost gauge is an old school one, so it's not in psi or bar it's in HG and it's for a turbo. Not sure if that's an issue.

Edited by Lt-SilverDragon, 07 June 2018 - 06:10 PM.

#21 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 06:32 PM

gauge does seem to indicate you're getting no boost at all - behaves the same way i'd expect an inlet manifold vacuum gauge to read on a normally aspirated engine

do you know if the supercharger itself is serviceable ?  not sure how you'd test it in-situ other than maybe using an electric drill to drive it to see if it produces any pressure

some photos showing how it's installed might be useful

Edited by KTS, 07 June 2018 - 06:35 PM.

#22 Lt-SilverDragon

Lt-SilverDragon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 06:59 PM

Yeah it does behave like my vacuum gauge, I've plumbed it in after the supercharger just before mixture enters the cylinder head. Here's some pics, engine bay is a mess so sorry for that.

PBe9hYe.jpg

YVQtMyG.jpg

rMNmbF4.jpg

aFUrYlb.jpg

ZpRoTai.jpg

I can try fitting an electric drill to see if I can spin the supercharger up but I don't know if any of my electric drills would be quick enough, I tried replacing the oil in the supercharger and the oil that came out was brand new (same colour as what I was going to put in) so it hasn't been run much. Also I have no idea who made the kit, I assumed it was vmax since that's what is on the inlet mani but I'm not sure it is.

Edited by Lt-SilverDragon, 07 June 2018 - 07:04 PM.

#23 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:15 PM

Are you taking the amethyst off by the carb?

#24 Lt-SilverDragon

Lt-SilverDragon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:23 PM

Yeah I'm still using the vacuum version, I'm not running the mini the now till I sort it but I've changed the setting so max advance is 26" and that's going off the rpm and not using the vacuum.

#25 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:45 PM

by the look of that i doubt  there's room to get a drill on the end of the pulley anyway !

#26 Lt-SilverDragon

Lt-SilverDragon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 08:00 PM

If I used a wobbly extension bar I could probably get onto it but because the pulley is pressed on there's no nut for me to attach the drill so not sure how I could attach it.

I did spin the supercharger by hand and watched the fins inside move, it was a while ago but I think they looked fine and also both fins moved. I did have an issue with getting the inlet pipe at the intake of the supercharger to seal when I fitted it so it wouldn't start at all as the supercharger wasn't able to suck properly but once I sorted that it fired nay bother and it's running fine. Don't have any problems driving, I'm wondering if maybe the bottom pulley that's been fitted to the crank is the wrong size and the charger is running slower then it should so it's basically making just enough boost to run? I've never touched the bottom pulley, when I took the supercharger off the car when I got it I just got a ribbed pulley to run the alternator instead of changing the bottom pulley.

Or there's an issue with the supercharger. I'll run car when I get in from work tomorrow and see if it's leaking air or if the belt is slipping and if I can I'll look inside it again.

EDIT: Ok I'm gonna take the charger off next time I'm off and look at it. I've not measured the bottom pulley but it's larger then the pulley on the charger so it should be making some boost. Belt doesn't look like it's slipping and there's no obvious leaks.

Tightened up belt again, can't tighten it any more with the alternator fins hitting the front panel. Took it for a spin, under full acceleration and when the revs get higher I am seeing some boost.

Edited by Lt-SilverDragon, 11 June 2018 - 03:46 PM.

#27 Lt-SilverDragon

Lt-SilverDragon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 02:46 PM

Alright think I found the issue, one of the studs in the head has threaded so it's not sealing between head and inlet manifold. 

Bit the bullet and ordered the boost version of the Amethyst, personally I still feel that it's too expensive but hey ho.

If I'm wanting to increase boost a little would it make sense to add a water injection kit? Devilsown Kit on ebay the now, or Coolingmist one. My supercharger has two threaded holes in the top which are currently blocked by bolts. Could use one for the nozzle and the other I could fit a temp sensor to it.

Edited by Lt-SilverDragon, 12 June 2018 - 04:36 PM.

#28 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:20 PM

Alright think I found the issue, one of the studs in the head has threaded so it's not sealing between head and inlet manifold. 

Bit the bullet and ordered the boost version of the Amethyst, personally I still feel that it's too expensive but hey ho.

If I'm wanting to increase boost a little would it make sense to add a water injection kit? Devilsown Kit on ebay the now, or Coolingmist one. My supercharger has two threaded holes in the top which are currently blocked by bolts. Could use one for the nozzle and the other I could fit a temp sensor to it.

All depending on what pulley you're going to use to increase the boost. Also the thread sizes for the water injectors compared to the bolt threads

#29 Lt-SilverDragon

Lt-SilverDragon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 04:20 PM

Well I need to wait till I've fixed the head before I can get an idea of what my current boost is before doing anything else. I tried recutting the threads but that didn't work so will need to helicoil it so just waiting on bits to come. Also ordered a water injection kit, which I'll see about fitting the nozzle to the supercharger while it's off the car and might see if I can sort a better way of attaching the inlet pipe to the mouth of the supercharger as it's not been done to a very good standard so might as well sort those bits as well.

#30 Lt-SilverDragon

Lt-SilverDragon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 02:39 PM

Well I'm done for now, still not producing decent boost even with a 17% pulley on it. Pulled the charger apart as the teflon coating was coming off in one spot so I've removed all the teflon, knew this would lower the boost but figured it was better that then bits of teflon going into my engine. Otherwise supercharger looks in good condition, cogs inside are barely worn and there's not much else to it and it does look like it's not done many miles. Don't really know where to go from here, I don't want to spend another couple of hundred quid on another supercharger just to see if that runs better and I need to sort my normal car for September so it's on the back burner the now. Car still drives sweet tho, just doesn't feel like it's got any poke.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users