#1 first_mini_chris

first_mini_chris

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 10:41 PM

Hi Guys and Girls,

I'm currently looking out for a Mini here in Northern Ireland.

Just wondering if there's any buyers guides out there, not finding too much info except for looking for rust rust and more rust.

Anyway hope to be able to get the money together soon to go out and buy one, probably looking at around 2500 - 3500 for it, not sure what I can expect to buy for that money though.

Anyway just thought I'd say hello.

Chris

#2 TobyM2018

TobyM2018

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 05:41 PM

I've certainly heard some guides mentioned by people on here. Perhaps from one of the mini magazines?

Based on my limited experience it really is all about rust. After that I'd suggest that you check the condition of parts that are either expensive or difficult to replace. An example might be a very low ride height on an un modded car. It might mean new cones which are fairly costly and not the easiest thing to replace.

Good luck finding a good 'un

#3 first_mini_chris

first_mini_chris

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:37 PM

Thanks, been looking for a while now, very few around that I can see in my price range at the moment. Looking for something ideally with an mot so I can use this summer and then do some remedial work on it. If anyone is in NI and knows anyone selling or anything please get in touch.

Thanks

Chris

#4 miniQ

miniQ

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 11:33 PM

You can find some decent examples for that price range. Hard to find one without oversills though.

Even 5k+ ones you see with oversills, filled in seams and just general issues. 

always check the MOT history before going to see it. Anything like "corrosion to floor" pops up in the last MOT they might be selling to avoid fixing that issue and give you a dud.

Try to avoid rover rusters 1990's onward...but you can still find decent examples of them...was going to buy one the other day but they get snapped up within a day good well priced examples (might be different in Ireland)

For you in Ireland they probably don't go quite as fast which means you don't need to be on your feet. The market is smaller so less show up but when they do show up they can be priced fairly well.

Problem I find with lots of mini's - PICTURES CAN BE DECEIVING. Amount of times I've gone to see a car and it's been a total shtbox whilst looked good in pictures. 

1972-1987 is a good age range I believe...but they can go for more AND expect ones that haven't been looked after to have have numerous welding and paint jobs over their history. A nice original MK3 will never typically sell for less than £3500. 

Edited by miniQ, 26 May 2018 - 11:37 PM.

#5 miniireland

miniireland

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 06:56 AM

Buy one in the south, get yourself on Donedeal and adverts.ie, or import one from europe and convert to RHD 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users