6 replies to this topic

#1 Chesty2925

Chesty2925

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 01:43 PM

My mini has had some issues recently where it will run fine until I get stuck in traffic for a long time. It then conks out. It starts again but wont drive off in gear. I pull over and leave it for a few hours and then its fine again. Until I have to que in traffic for a long time. Then it does it again. Its like it over heats but the coolant has been flushed.
We had to push her down the hill at London to Brighton again!

#2 WillCarter

WillCarter

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 02:40 PM

Check that the jet isn't sticking and that all the springs that attach to the carb are okay. Then check that there's a bit of slack in the throttle cable and the choke cable too.
Might also be worth checking that the float isn't sticking.

Have you checked the temp guage when the engine stops? Might be worth seeing if the thermostat is working correctlly
If none of that helps, check that there's no blockage in the fuel line and also put a fuel filter in if you don't already have one. Check the condition of your air filter too.

However, having reread your post, I don't think any of that would affect it actually not being able to drive

Edited by WillCarter, 20 May 2018 - 02:49 PM.

#3 Chesty2925

Chesty2925

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 02:58 PM

I thought it was a blocked fuel line or dirty fuel a few weeks back. I chucked a load of fuel cleaner in and then topped it up with fresh petrol. I thought that had worked but no such luck.

#4 WillCarter

WillCarter

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 03:03 PM

When mine used to stall and only started again by revving the balls off it it turned out to be a combination of both the car jet sticking and the throttle and choke cables being too tight.

However, if your car starts okay but just doesn't move then that might be more to do with the clutch and gearbox. The best of luck regardless and I've got my fingers crossed for you that it isn't either of those two things

Might be a bit of a long shot but check that the crankcase breather isnt blocked too

Edited by WillCarter, 20 May 2018 - 03:08 PM.

#5 lerry

lerry

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 04:23 PM

Fuel-vapourisation?

#6 carbon

carbon

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 08:11 PM

I would suggest checking how hot the ignition coil is getting. Next time it conks out try touching the outside of the coil, if it is too hot to touch this could be the cause.

As lerry says it might also be fuel vapour lock.

#7 Chesty2925

Chesty2925

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 07:15 AM

Thanks guys. I was thinking fuel vaporisation too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users