7 replies to this topic

#1 black olive

black olive

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 09:42 AM

bare metal resprayed the mini using celly a few years ago. its been stood out in all weathers since with little attention, and the top coat for want of a better description has "dried out", gone brittle and lost adhesion.

when Ive finished doing a new rear body for the pick up ( that Im going to use as a test bed for my spraying again ) Im going to re-do the mini, but in 2k this time.

how much paint will I need for the body and how much for the roof please, and whats the technique for 2k, one thick coat or a couple of coats, and yeah I know about the health hazards associated with this paint.

Attached Files

#2 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 21 May 2018 - 11:56 AM

If its just external then 3lts will be more than enough. At least three normal coats is what i was recommended although i did five to give me plenty of meat for colour sanding and mopping etc.

#3 Biggles1957

Biggles1957

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 01:22 PM

Well I've got 3 litres for my Elf - and the paint man says that should be plenty so...

#4 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 04:41 PM

Depends on the gun as well some are less efficient, but I painted my mk2 inside and out and have used approx 3 litres of the blue and 3/4 litre white for the roof, I used one light coat and 2 heavier ones.
It goes on much thicker than cellulose and remains wet for far longer so dust can be more of an issue, I found it was better to put it on slightly peeled and flat after than try to get it flat and end up with a run, especially on vertical panels in less than ideal temperatures and conditions, I found the first light coat after being left to go tacky enabled a much heavier coat to be applied afterwards, I watched the gunman on YouTube a lot as well.

#5 black olive

black olive

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 06:39 AM

thanks, 3 and 1 it is then 

#6 Furyan

Furyan

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:24 PM

Remember that with 2k you will need to add  hardener at 2 parts paint to 1 part hardener usually so your 3 litres will become 4.5 litres.

#7 black olive

black olive

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 07:53 AM

Remember that with 2k you will need to add  hardener at 2 parts paint to 1 part hardener usually so your 3 litres will become 4.5 litres.

oh yeah thanks. Ill get a litre for the truck bodytub and that will give me a better Idea how far it goes. 

#8 black olive

black olive

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 09:10 AM

well the trucks finsished, and been a good learning exercise for doing the mini in 2K.

put 2 coats of 2K on, but overdid one side, and consequently had a couple of runs to flat down. Annoyingly it was only after Id done the body that I realised I'd somehow manage to connect the regulator/water trap the wrong way round. Id wondered why I was struggling with the pressure at the gun. Painting the wheelarch flares went a lot more smoothly . wet colour sanded most of the orange peel and compounded it, and very pleased with the overall result. 

Ive now supplied the eldest with lots of wet and dry paper and a rubbing block to make a start on her Mini so she can appreciate how much work goes into surface prep for paint.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users