#1 liirge

liirge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,097 posts
  • Local Club: EDMC AND MMC

Posted 22 May 2018 - 05:23 PM

The car was running absolutely fine, then it randomly died at idle, there was no noise. I thought it was initially just a bit cold and needed a bit more choke. However when I can to turn the starter again it kicked in and it wont budge. 

The car will not move when in gear when I try and push it, any gear. 

The car will move absolutely fine in neutral. 

I was wondering if there are any particular tests I could run to identify whether I've got an engine, clutch, transfer gears, or gearbox problem? 

I'm suspecting that I will have to take the whole thing out. 

I have removed the starter to check whether it was jamming, however it still wont move when pushed in gear with the starter removed. 

998 A+ engine and gearbox

Edited by liirge, 22 May 2018 - 05:24 PM.

#2 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 05:49 PM

try turn the engine in neutral via the alternator bolt? This should see if the engine is seized. if you can turn it by the bolt but not push in gear then it suggests the engine is not at fault more likely transmission.  

#3 carbon

carbon

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 06:39 PM

Liirge, has any work been done on the engine/gearbox unit recently?

If you have the starter off then have you tried to see if the flywheel can move at all in any direction?

#4 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 06:40 PM

clutch seized on ???

dropped anything down in the engine ??

what did you last change do to the car???

engine out time see what it is??

#5 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 06:54 PM

Hi,

Take the spark plugs out and then see if you can turn the engine over....

Cheers,

Gavin  :shifty:

#6 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 10:27 PM

Could be the reverse gear that walked out the bushing depending on the year

#7 liirge

liirge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,097 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 03:13 PM

Won't turn over with the plugs out, and I can't seem to force it turn either on the pulley wheel bolt. There is a little give if the engine is being rotated in the wrong direction, but it soon locks up again. 

The reverse gear bushing sounds interesting. Engine and Gearbox have done about 500 miles, the gearbox was rebuilt by me, and it was functional when I put it back together. Engine was rebuilt by me as well. 

The only thing I've been wondering is about the clutch, it never felt quite right, and I couldn't seem to ever find the right biting point on the pedal. I just suspected that it was my own fault for not adjusting the pre-verto clutch very well. But I wonder now.

#8 whistler

whistler

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 04:17 PM

Two things to check. Take the distributor out. If you can move the drive out then do so but make a note or photograph the start point as it exits the hole. It the drive is whole then that's not your problem.
The second possibility is the the brass shim washer at the back of the primary has disintegrated, the primary gear will move back and for and the C clip on the crank nose has dropped and locked it all up.
If it is the second then take the wok off, flywheel off and have a look.

#9 liirge

liirge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,097 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 04:43 PM

Dizzy can move freely and the drive is out. 

I'm thinking that the primary gear has failed. 

#10 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 05:26 PM

If the primary had failed you could still move it. Especialy with the plugs out.

#11 liirge

liirge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,097 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 05:43 PM

If the primary had failed you could still move it. Especialy with the plugs out.

There goes my theory then, if the C shaped washer had moved it might have jammed things up.

#12 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 06:31 PM

There goes my theory then, if the C shaped washer had moved it might have jammed things up.
Would Just make IT impossible to disengage the clutch.

#13 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,845 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:52 PM

Sorry guys, I can't see this being a Gearbox issue as stepping on the clutch will disconnect the engine from the gearbox and if it was the gearbox, you'd be able to turn the engine back and forth a few degrees due to backlash through the drop gears.

Likewise, I can't see it being the C Clip and this is nested within the flywheel and can't dislodge. If the Primary Gear or thrusts had disintegrated, again, I doubt that would lock it up.

Having said those items, I'm at a bit of a loss here as to what to suggest it could be, but I do think it'll be an engine out and at the very least a part strip. Perhaps before doing this, whip the Flywheel & Clutch out just in case a bolt has walked out and jammed it.

#14 whistler

whistler

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 09:30 PM

I rebuilt a 1275 just before christmas where the primary gear rear brass shim washer had disintegrated and dropped down inside the transfer casing, in bits. The shoulder on the crank where it sat was destroyed by the primary gear rocking back and for. The C clip dropped and the whole thing jammed. Had to fit a new crank, primary gear, brass shim, C clip and lock ring. Also had to strip out the engine to pull out the brass bits from the bottom of the gearbox. I really hope this isn't the problem in this case.
As soon as you take the flywheel off you'll know.

#15 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,845 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 23 May 2018 - 10:13 PM

Perhaps whistler, it was the broken parts falling between the gears in your case that caused the lock-up?

As I suggested ^ I can't see the C-Clip causing a Lock-up of the Engine as it's nested inside the flywheel when it's all fitted up;-

IQpttzZ.jpg

The red bits is the flywheel and blue the clip

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users