M700FGT

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:40 PM

Hi All,

While in traffic on the London to Brighton, my 1275 Cooper 1997 MPI decided to overheat.

No leaks at all, purely just got to hot and expanded through the pressure release cap. I then suddenly realised that the fan wasn't on at all. Come to think of it, I've never seen the fan on since i brought it in Jan this year. Never really been an issue until now, as i never been stuck in traffic. 

I did have to replace the expansion tank in Jan as the original one has warped and split at the top, but didn't think anything of it as i was told the MPI expansion tank was a common fault.

So i need a little help and a few pointers as im not a mechanic, but want to learn and have a go. The 15A fuse that controls the fan is fine and not blown, Whats the next thing to check? 

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:46 PM

give it 12V and see if it works. if it does it will be the sensor in the thermostat housing sandwich plate.

#3 M700FGT

M700FGT

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:59 PM

give it 12V and see if it works. if it does it will be the sensor in the thermostat housing sandwich plate.

Thanks for that, i will give that a go.

I have a feeling the thermostat was replaced last year, but the seller was so 'unusual' i can't really be sure what was done. 

#4 RedRuby

RedRuby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Local Club: No

Posted 22 May 2018 - 11:06 PM

With the engine running disconnect the wiring plug to the coolant sensor in the thermostat housing the fan should cut in. If it doesn’t then you have a problem with the fan or it’s connections. If the fan comes on then it is more likely to be a problem with the coolant temperature sensor or possibly the wiring harness, Rover did a modification to the harness and plug, mini Spares sell the modified harness

#5 M700FGT

M700FGT

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 09:44 PM

Thanks guys.

Connected the fan to a 12v supply and didn't move at all. The blades are free flowing, so I think the motor is just dead.

I was going to connect the coolant sensor, but I could see where it was. Will have another look at the weekend. 

Any advice on replacement fans or what to avoid?

#6 M700FGT

M700FGT

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 08:35 PM

So the new fan arrived from Mini Spares today. Looks like its a universal fan with mounting brackets to make it fit.

The only issue is the connector is wrong and theres no mention of it on their website. I have emailed Mini Spares to find out what i need to do and if it will effect the warranty. Normally i would just solder the wires, but would really prefer to keep a connector in this case and don't want to be told I've voided any warranty. 

Has anyone else had this problem before? 

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users