#1 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 11:53 AM

Hi all,

I have a BIG problem that is doing my head in !

I have 3 MAP sensors here with me for my MPI that runs really badly (problem MAP diagnosed with my T4 machine)

I have searched the internet and youtube on how to test a MAP off the car and tested all of mine, and they are all dead !!!

Does anyone know if I'm doing something wrong ?

I apply 5 volts to the MAP sensor and measure the output on the signal wire. then with a vacuum pump I suck on the sensor and measure the voltage. I am getting no voltage change whatsoever.

Please any help will be much appreciated.

Am I really that unlucky and only received dud MAP sensors ??? 

Pete.

#2 Allrounder

Allrounder

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Local Club: Hereford Motor Club

Posted 23 May 2018 - 12:47 PM

What does the live data say with it on the car??

Think there should be 3 wires to the MAP sensor. 5v, earth and signal to the ecu. If youve got 5v and a good earth then probe the sensor wire, think it should be 1.5v at idle.

Hope this helps.

#3 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 01:04 PM

I agree with you, I have 5 volts and ground. Engine off I am getting 2.3 volts. Engine running I am getting 2.3 volts !!!!!

Live data says 76 kpa engine off (should be near 100kpa) , and 76 kpa engine running (should be around 40kpa) 

#4 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,895 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 23 May 2018 - 04:43 PM

Pete, is it worth checking the wiring to the ecu? Or have I been dumb and not read you've already done that?

#5 Allrounder

Allrounder

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Local Club: Hereford Motor Club

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:48 PM

Does sound like a sensor. If your getting the same readings for engine on and off. If you can find the right ohm resistors you can substitute the MAP for them to test the wiring back to the ecu just to be certain.

#6 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 10:23 PM

Hi,

Most ECUs will guess at something, especially a map sensor, if it's unplugged. If it runs better with it unplugged you're on the right track. With the ignition on, sensor unplugged, and looking at the live data, bridge between 5v and signal and then ground and signal, you should see the map pressure changing. Also while unplugged check the voltage on the signal wire there should be voltage on that too. Check resistance between the ground wire and a known good ground point, another check would be with the sensor plugged in the ground wire should read 0v to your known good ground.

Cheers  :proud:

Edited by Bat, 23 May 2018 - 10:27 PM.

#7 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 06:41 AM

Pete, is it worth checking the wiring to the ecu? Or have I been dumb and not read you've already done that?

I have had the engine loom out, unwrapped and checked, all is well.

Does sound like a sensor. If your getting the same readings for engine on and off. If you can find the right ohm resistors you can substitute the MAP for them to test the wiring back to the ecu just to be certain.

I like this idea, thanks for that, i might even try a variable resistor.

Hi,

Most ECUs will guess at something, especially a map sensor, if it's unplugged. If it runs better with it unplugged you're on the right track. With the ignition on, sensor unplugged, and looking at the live data, bridge between 5v and signal and then ground and signal, you should see the map pressure changing. Also while unplugged check the voltage on the signal wire there should be voltage on that too. Check resistance between the ground wire and a known good ground point, another check would be with the sensor plugged in the ground wire should read 0v to your known good ground.

Here's another strange thing, I thought also that MAP unplugged or dead would cause limp mode, but the engine won't even start with the MAP unpluged.

But, all the MAP sensors I have are not changing value when I bench test them.

I have another 2 on the way from the UK, this time it's the MHK100490 version, not the MHK100600.

Pete.

#8 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 06:50 AM

This is the kind of test that I'm doing with my MAPs 

#9 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,895 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:13 AM

But have you actually checked for continuity over the length of the loom from sensor plug to ecu plug?

#10 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:30 AM

I have yes. 

#11 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:49 AM

Hi,

Is there any voltage on the signal wire with the map unplugged?

#12 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 09:40 AM

I must admit, I haven't checked, should there be ?

#13 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:34 PM

Hi,

I think so, fhough I'm not running a standard ecu anymore so I can't check.

#14 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 28 May 2018 - 09:18 PM

I like this idea, thanks for that, i might even try a variable resistor.

Hi,

Here's another strange thing, I thought also that MAP unplugged or dead would cause limp mode, but the engine won't even start with the MAP unpluged.

But, all the MAP sensors I have are not changing value when I bench test them.

I have another 2 on the way from the UK, this time it's the MHK100490 version, not the MHK100600.

Pete.

What value would you use to substitute in limp mode for MAP sensor that will not cause damage to the engine?......................... none, because any fixed value would eventually cause damage, or, the engine would run too poorly to be worth running at all.

Best action is to prevent engine running.

#15 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 28 May 2018 - 09:20 PM

But have you actually checked for continuity over the length of the loom from sensor plug to ecu plug?

More importantly, are the right wires going to the right terminals on the sensor?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users