#16 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 06:41 PM

Hi,

If the needle and jet are worn they will let more fuel into the engine than it should.

Basically either a worn net or needle will give a larger hole for the fuel to come out.

Cheers  :shifty:

#17 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:59 PM

I've had fuel in the oil in the past where I've had float needle valves leaking when parked with the front of the car pointing down hill on my drive, worse with more than 1/2 tank of fuel. Usually didn't cause any problems except I couldn't understand why the oil level kept increasing. It wasn't until the engine hydrauliced , I took the plugs out and cranked it and realised the bores were full of fuel.
Needle valve weren't leaking enough to show any external leak or smell.
Worth checking.

#18 AUSTINMINI1985

AUSTINMINI1985

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 11:48 PM

Hhhhh

Edited by AUSTINMINI1985, 23 May 2018 - 11:57 PM.

#19 AUSTINMINI1985

AUSTINMINI1985

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 11:56 PM

Hi bat and i mack

I thought my carb was the problem.
I rebuilt my carb and cleaned it so i new float wasnt sticking, but still mixed fuel in oil.

So i got a lend off another carb same as mine but its still mixing.

#20 AUSTINMINI1985

AUSTINMINI1985

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 11:58 PM

If its overfuelling the excess fuel passes past the rings into the oil. The needles are the amount of fuel used although a BDL should be fine I believe. Is the choke mechanism working properly? It can damage the bores if left yeah

All making sense now.
The car was smoky some mornings from over fueling.
I told my engine builder about the smoking and the smell off burnt fuel.

He told me its nothing to worry about just keep a eye on it.

#21 hhhh

hhhh

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 03:45 AM

Hhhhh

You called? But seriously, it sounds like the enrichener's stuck on or leaking through or the float valve is dubious. But since you changed the carb, it can only be that it's set up as poorly for your motor as yours, unlikely but possible, or it's malfunctioning the same as yours was.

If the smoke is black you should be very concerned, since every mile you put on it washing the oil off the bores is orders of magnitude more wear than it should be if it were the right mixture. If the oil is blue and comes and goes, it's normal. Sometimes with really shitty rings it's smokes blue like hell for a while then clears up.

#22 minimans

minimans

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 04:45 AM

Bad rings or bores will not cause the fuel in oil but fuel in the oil can in xtreme cases cause ring damage. Cleaning and refitting a carb is not the same as checking it for wear and poor adjustment, Sounds like you need to find someone who can look at the car and advise you. Are you sure the fuel is leaking into the oil? is it just the smell? As has already been said there's only two places to get oil and fuel mix, the Carb and the fuel pump, as you've changed the pump I'd look hard at the Carb especially the float and float level, to get a high contamination it will have to be leaking down when the engine is not running, it would have to be running like ******* to get raw fuel in the oil with the engine running.

#23 AUSTINMINI1985

AUSTINMINI1985

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 06:05 AM

Hhhhh

You called? But seriously, it sounds like the enrichener's stuck on or leaking through or the float valve is dubious. But since you changed the carb, it can only be that it's set up as poorly for your motor as yours, unlikely but possible, or it's malfunctioning the same as yours was.

If the smoke is black you should be very concerned, since every mile you put on it washing the oil off the bores is orders of magnitude more wear than it should be if it were the right mixture. If the oil is blue and comes and goes, it's normal. Sometimes with really shitty rings it's smokes blue like hell for a while then clears up.

Hi hhh sorry done that by mistake.
Yes thats what i thought fuel getting past the float but surely two carbs wouldnt have faults.

The smoke was grey and smelly and only happened few mornings then went away never smoked driving.

#24 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:16 AM

Hi there
Iam getting fuel mixing in oil.

Thanks trev

as we don't really seem to be getting far with this, can you describe how you know you are getting fuel in the oil.

it will help with diagnosis.

#25 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:47 AM

This is a case of too rich a mixture;  if the plugs are that black, not all the fuel is being burnt.

From the experience of ploughing in cold weather, I can tell you that when a petrol tractor engine came under load, the fuel was enriched, and if this happened all day, the sump had more, thinner oil in it in the evening than when setting out in the morning.

A couple of days later, doing much lighter work, one noticed the level on the dipstick drop, and the oil pressure pick up a bit as the un-burned petrol that got past the rings, was evaporated off .

#26 AUSTINMINI1985

AUSTINMINI1985

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:51 AM

Hi there

Thanks trev

as we don't really seem to be getting far with this, can you describe how you know you are getting fuel in the oil.

Hi nick

You can smell the fuel from dip stick.
Oil is turning black rather quick.
Oil seems to be very runny.
Before you could just smell fuel really strong from oil. Now its not mixing so quick but you can smell it slightly

#27 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 09:20 AM

Hi,

I'd say you fixed the leak when you changed the pump and now just have a residual smell?

Get the engine really hot and then do an oil and filter change.

Be careful not to get burnt!

Cheers  :proud:

#28 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 24 May 2018 - 12:34 PM

Hi there

Thanks trev

Hi nick

You can smell the fuel from dip stick.
Oil is turning black rather quick.
Oil seems to be very runny.
Before you could just smell fuel really strong from oil. Now its not mixing so quick but you can smell it slightly

but is the oil level rising?

#29 AUSTINMINI1985

AUSTINMINI1985

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 03:06 PM

Hi all
Just had mini out oil level still the same.
Oil still green which is good.
Still slight smell off fuel.
Started up fine & ticked over nicely.

Now i had sparks out . bit black again so need
Get her running lean again.

Porblem is when i try to drive it now. itll drive fine but when i try to put my foot down or change gear it struggles then need to ease off to get her going.
Going to try get it to a pro who nos how to set it up correctly.

Thanks every one for your information and help.

#30 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:30 PM

Hi,

Have you checked the oil in the carb dashpot?

Cheers  :proud:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users