#106 REVVIT

REVVIT

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 04:22 PM

Looks a good bit of metalwork there mate

Thanks Matt ..not as sexy looking as a big fat cage but it had to be done...yours is coming on nicely...

#107 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 06:11 PM

Your van looks excellent mate.

It's great to see sound steel under that old paint.

Those lower repair panels are rubbish for all Mini's I have found. I tried 2 lots from 2 different suppliers and both fitted like crap.

I always make my own now.

Good luck with the rest of it.

Ben

#108 REVVIT

REVVIT

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 08:32 PM

Your van looks excellent mate.

It's great to see sound steel under that old paint.

Those lower repair panels are rubbish for all Mini's I have found. I tried 2 lots from 2 different suppliers and both fitted like crap.

I always make my own now.

Good luck with the rest of it.

Ben

...Im officially chuffed to get a visit from yourself Ben..I've read all of your restorations and use a lot of your techniques  ( or try ) to ..Thanks the van is coming on nicely and i hope i can get somewhere close to one of your restorations..As for the panels i suppose as restorers we are lucky to have a choice but when the panel is not even close its annoying they are actually fit for sale..I look forward to following more of your work..its a shame you don't live nearer as id ask for a price on you painting it..Thanks Mark..

#109 REVVIT

REVVIT

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 08:56 PM

So made and replaced the annoying lower repair and I'm much happier this time..also collected my bonnet so it now has a little extra in the cool both for heat and in the looks department..

42872329990_ae869bebae_b.jpgUntitled by

43963653904_425eb5dacc_b.jpgUntitled by

#110 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 09:27 PM

..looking very good !

can't be too far off getting it painted now ?

#111 mattmiglia

mattmiglia

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:18 PM

Very cool! The grill and bonnet together really set this off nice

#112 REVVIT

REVVIT

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 07:40 AM

..looking very good !

can't be too far off getting it painted now ?

Thanks..yes its getting close to the point where i need to say I've done my bit..id like to paint it myself but the garage is not ideal to turn into a paint  booth at the mo with other dirty work going on ..i think I've got a colour in mind or something close again I'm trying to be original ish but with a twist on period..

#113 REVVIT

REVVIT

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 07:50 AM

Very cool! The grill and bonnet together really set this off nice

Cheers..yes they work well together ..less is more so I'm keeping things subtle as its easy to go overboard and loose the period look with to many add ons..with vans being so basic, bits to make it different are slim so have to choose carefully..

#114 Risky

Risky

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 02:12 PM

Looking good - different grill and louvres are a nice little detail!

A Van is still on my wishlist  :angel:

#115 REVVIT

REVVIT

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 08:23 PM

So made a decent milestone for me today..the bonnet has been disassembled for many months to make repairs to both the frame and bonnet..those done and with the additional louvres today they became one again..id had the frame blasted as it was tatty underneath and needed some repair after blasting and the bonnet also needed repairs due to corrosion..some remaining paint on the bonnet was removed cleaned and metal prepped and the frame had a dusting of etch in the areas you carn't get to when its  assembled...clamped up and welded in its original position its now one again which enabled me to trial fit..used the original hinges and replaced the nylon spacer washers and all is looking good..

44649600462_48680b7ef1_b.jpgUntitled by

44649600532_08d34e0c28_b.jpgUntitled by

43980116644_3e6d5263b9_b.jpgUntitled by

44697555111_16bf2488f9_b.jpgUntitled by

#116 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 18 September 2018 - 05:51 AM

Wasn't sure how the bonnet would look but it looks right at home with the custom grill as well. Nice work its making me want to start my van so much.. I just joke that it was a retirement project but its looking that way at the moment haha

#117 REVVIT

REVVIT

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 11:20 AM

Wasn't sure how the bonnet would look but it looks right at home with the custom grill as well. Nice work its making me want to start my van so much.. I just joke that it was a retirement project but its looking that way at the moment haha

Must admit I was a little unsure how they would look..but now its all on I'm very happy how its turned out..as for the grille a fellow mini friend pointed out that the grille is the same that's fitted to the very famous AJB 44B woks Cooper S..Pure fluke ..so if its good enough for that  it will do for  me..

Edited by REVVIT, 18 September 2018 - 09:00 PM.

#118 REVVIT

REVVIT

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 04:40 PM

First time I've seen the van with back doors fitted ..one is original the other came with it to replace the slightly rusty other..

44763336491_0e367570f8_b.jpgUntitled by

#119 Kevinmini

Kevinmini

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 05:52 PM

Nice work - think the styling route you are going down is really subtle yet custom.
What are you putting on the panels after you have worked on them is it a zinc primer? Thanks

#120 REVVIT

REVVIT

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 08:59 PM

Nice work - think the styling route you are going down is really subtle yet custom.
What are you putting on the panels after you have worked on them is it a zinc primer? Thanks

Thanks thats the plan and subtle is the aim..after the panels have been repaired or paint stripped i use POR15 Metal Prep from frost ..its a rust /etch wash solution its also a good conductor if you need to do further welding work after ..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users