#1 bgrant570

bgrant570

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet

Posted 28 May 2018 - 10:45 PM

Just wondering, has anyone tried reversing the hinges on the bootlid so that it opens up (like a minivan) rather than down?  It just seems awkward when working or reaching into the boot to have the bootlid keeping you standing out a ways.  Might be more out of the way if it opened up toward the rear window.  I know it would take some doing, but it seems like someone would have tried it at some point.  Anybody? 

#2 minimans

minimans

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 12:35 AM

Bang your knee's or head ...........your choice........

#3 Richie83

Richie83

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 05:34 AM

I’m not sure the hinges would articulate far enough to allow the lid to lay on the car. Wouldn’t it keep falling down too? You could add gas struts, but they’d only open it far enough to make a neat porch for your boot, so you’d basically have to crawl under it :-)

I’ve seen people but them on with boot pins so you can completely remove it. I also vaguely remember one that sort of openend and then was on some sort of articulated hinge that ‘slid’ the boot lid up. But I can’t remember where.

#4 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,776 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 29 May 2018 - 06:31 AM

Just wondering, has anyone tried reversing the hinges on the bootlid so that it opens up (like a minivan) rather than down?

A Minivan has rear doors which open to the side.......to open upwards it would need to be a hatchback including the rear window like modern cars, or like some Radford converted coachbuilt Minis.

Edited by mab01uk, 29 May 2018 - 06:33 AM.

#5 mini-mad-mark

mini-mad-mark

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Local Club: northants wot no brakes

Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:02 PM

Hi,

You can notch the end of the boot lid hinge so it lifts off the pin easily and then you only need to unscrew the boot lid cables and unplug the number plate light cables to fully remove the boot lid in about 2 minutes (maybe less if you remember to fetch your electric screwdriver  :lol:  but its debatable)

If you need a picture to explain let me know 

Regards

#6 mini-mad-mark

mini-mad-mark

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Local Club: northants wot no brakes

Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:03 PM

Sorry I assumed it was more for the function of removing the boot lid, rather than the aesthtics/pose value of having it open upwards?

#7 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 06:21 PM

Minidarren83 done it on his k-series build, type in boot in the search after click on the link below.

http://www.theminifo...h&fromMainBar=1

#8 bgrant570

bgrant570

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 11:35 PM

I’m not sure the hinges would articulate far enough to allow the lid to lay on the car. Wouldn’t it keep falling down too? You could add gas struts, but they’d only open it far enough to make a neat porch for your boot, so you’d basically have to crawl under it :-)

I’ve seen people but them on with boot pins so you can completely remove it. I also vaguely remember one that sort of openend and then was on some sort of articulated hinge that ‘slid’ the boot lid up. But I can’t remember where.

Yeah, I'm not going to do it on mine so I haven't fully worked out how I would tackle it, or how it would stay up.  That's why I was curious if anyone had tried it.

Just wondering, has anyone tried reversing the hinges on the bootlid so that it opens up (like a minivan) rather than down?

A Minivan has rear doors which open to the side.......to open upwards it would need to be a hatchback including the rear window like modern cars, or like some Radford converted coachbuilt Minis.

Sorry, I meant a modern mini van, or even a modern hatchback.  Not mini based.

Hi,

You can notch the end of the boot lid hinge so it lifts off the pin easily and then you only need to unscrew the boot lid cables and unplug the number plate light cables to fully remove the boot lid in about 2 minutes (maybe less if you remember to fetch your electric screwdriver  :lol:  but its debatable)

If you need a picture to explain let me know 

Regards

Yeah, a fully removable boot lid would probably be the way to go if you wanted to do it.  I'm not doing anything custom like that (or an upward opening boot lid) to mine.  Just sort of wondering if it had been done since I've never seen one and it doesn't seem so impossible to do if you're going the custom route. 

Edited by bgrant570, 02 June 2018 - 11:37 PM.

#9 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 02 June 2018 - 11:43 PM

here you go

http://www.theminifo...34#entry2930192

#10 bgrant570

bgrant570

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 11:49 PM

Minidarren83 done it on his k-series build, type in boot in the search after click on the link below.

http://www.theminifo...h&fromMainBar=1

Thanks guys!  Just what I was wondering about!  Looks like a lot of work went into that one.  Looks great though!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users