#1 DEPS

DEPS

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Local Club: Carlton & District Motor Club

Posted 29 May 2018 - 08:04 PM

Hi, My son and I are just about to commence building our new sealed surface stage rally car which will be used for single venue events, not the historic championship. 

The shell has an extensive weld in cage, the bulkhead is cut out miglia style and the rear has been turreted and arches tubbed for fitment of a beam axle. Long term, when funds permit we would like to fit a 1380 with BMW K head. 

The question at this stage is what wheel size, tyres and brakes should we go with? We appreciate that most people would say minis handle best on 10 or 12" wheels. However, on a single venue with lots of chicanes and tight corners we have learned from our experience over the last 2 years in a 106 1294 Rallye that brakes and grip are essential. Due to the lack of tyre choice in 10 and 12" we are therefore very tempted by 13's as more compounds available. These would also allow us to go for bigger brakes.

All thoughts and opinions welcomed. 

#2 Kaj

Kaj

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 07:38 PM

The Metro 4-pot calipers with 8.4 vented discs work well and will fit 12" or 13" wheels. These are now thin on the ground but I just bought a new-remanfactured one 85.

Yokohama A048's is a great tarmac tyre 175 x 50 x 13 and believe or not they are OK in the wet!

If you deeper pockets then 4-pot alloy calipers are available.

#3 DEPS

DEPS

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Local Club: Carlton & District Motor Club

Posted 02 June 2018 - 09:11 PM

Thanks Kaj.

In many ways if I had been building an historic car the choices would have been simpler! However this is an ex hillclimb car and was built to a very high spec previously and I think I would have to reverse engineer a lot to get back to historic regs. Also as much as I would like to do the HRCR Mini cup I do not have the time or funds to be able to do events all round the country.

The Yokos do seem to get good reviews, so thanks for the confirmation. I run yokos in 10" on my other mini and have always liked them. It appears they do A048's in medium and medium hard in 13". Unfortunately only medium in 12". So I seem to being pushed towards 13's. 

Think it will also have to be 4 pots, especially if we go with 13's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users