#1 hsular

hsular

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 03:41 PM

Hi folks,

I bought 1995 Spi (N reg) about a year ago. I had it serviced and changed the parts that needed to be changed under the car such as driveshaft, front hubs, discs and track road ends etc. as much as i saw. Car has a little rust and bubbles so I decided the full restoration. 

I was just wondering what parts check on the engine once it is out ? How do I know if I have an healthy engine ? Car has done just over 100k. It runs and sounds fine as I have been told but I have got no idea what has been done to the engine by the previous owner. I just want to get it repaired as it will be harder later on when we put it back. Also I found it a bit slow but I am assuming this is the usual case with minis. I have not done more than 400-500 miles in total with this car. 

Any help with this would be highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

#2 pusb

pusb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 05:47 PM

When you say slow, how slow are we talking?

#3 hsular

hsular

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 05:49 PM

I can do 70 mph on a motorway but it’s like asking for the 5th gear. It feels like engine is about to blow if I do 80 mph.

#4 pusb

pusb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 05:51 PM

I can do 70 mph on a motorway but it’s like asking for the 5th gear. It feels like engine is about to blow if I do 80 mph.

They all sound like that. I find that a Mini on the motorway is like driving a small, modern car with the 5th gear disabled.

If its capable of doing 80 mph I wouldn't think there was too much wrong with it.

#5 hsular

hsular

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 05:53 PM

It runs fine and never gave me a problem actually but I want check the engine overall as I am restoring the car. I just do not know what to look for really.

#6 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,899 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 02 June 2018 - 06:04 PM

At 100 000 miles, I'd be suggesting a full engine and gearbox overhaul. It'll likely go for a bit longer, but not much and as you've touched on, you don't know it's history.

#7 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 06:09 PM

I agree, 100k is ready for a rebuild but the fact it's got there without issues is a good sign that it's got another 100k in it. A receipt for a pro rebuild and paint will increase the value and desirability hugely too.

#8 hsular

hsular

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 08:14 PM

Is there any garage in Essex preferably in Harlow that you can recommend to get it checked/rebuild properly for engine and gearbox ?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users