44 replies to this topic

#1 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 11:00 PM

Time to start my new project. I bought this little gem last week. It's a early mk3 1970 mini 1000 in aqua. It needs a full restoration which I am going to give it a go. I'm going to get the bodywork back to a great standard and add some period mods. First plan is to start the engine before I take it out so I know that it's a runner. The mini has been stood since 2004. It has 77k on the clock. I'm the 5th owner. Going to be a long one but I'm looking forward to getting stuck in....

Attached File  DSC_1223.JPG   69.49K   19 downloads

Edited by blacktulip, 05 June 2018 - 10:05 PM.

#2 Chris.Williams

Chris.Williams

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 11:47 PM

Looks like some decent bones to start with. Look forward to following your progress.

#3 CharlieNZ

CharlieNZ

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 05:23 AM

Looks like a nice original car, perfect for a project. I'll be interested to see what's gone wrong with the suspension!

#4 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 04:23 PM

Attached File  DSC_1209.JPG   51.84K   7 downloadsAttached File  DSC_1210.JPG   46.26K   8 downloadsAttached File  DSC_1214.JPG   43.54K   6 downloadsAttached File  DSC_1215.JPG   47.4K   9 downloadsAttached File  DSC_1216.JPG   46.52K   9 downloadsAttached File  DSC_1217.JPG   50.13K   12 downloadsAttached File  DSC_1220.JPG   44.24K   13 downloads
So work has begun, I put a charged battery in and turned the engine over by hand first which it did and then tried it with the key. It wouldn't fire up which is what I thought would happen but I thought I would try my luck. So after some testing for a spark I found that there was none. So I replaced the ht leads, points and condenser and it fired up. It was on old fuel too. Oil pressure was good so I'm happy with that. Time to take it all apart now. So spent yesterday carefully stripping out the engine, first problem is the bulkhead bolt for the engine steady is stuck, probably in the metal sleeve inside the rubber bush. I've soaked it in penetrating fluid but won't budge. Not sure if I should just hacksaw it off.

#5 Boycie

Boycie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 06:40 PM

Fantastic.  It's identical to mine, (registered July '70 in Aqua too).  What month is yours?

I spy... the correct floor, correct switch gear, correct boot handle, non-heated rear screen, rad shroud... :lol: really original car, good luck with the project!

#6 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 08:26 PM

Fantastic. It's identical to mine, (registered July '70 in Aqua too). What month is yours?

I spy... the correct floor, correct switch gear, correct boot handle, non-heated rear screen, rad shroud... :lol: really original car, good luck with the project!

Mine is 1st April 1970. Yes it has everything there. It even has the buckle seat belts with bmc stickers on them. The engine is original, with the dynamo etc.

#7 CharlieNZ

CharlieNZ

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 09:09 PM

You could be mistaken about the bulkhead bolt - iirc it's one piece and won't come out. You need to unbolt the bracket for the master cylinders. With a bit of gentle levering you can get the bolt out without having to remove the cylinders.

#8 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 09:58 PM

You could be mistaken about the bulkhead bolt - iirc it's one piece and won't come out. You need to unbolt the bracket for the master cylinders. With a bit of gentle levering you can get the bolt out without having to remove the cylinders.

Hi there, I cut it off with a hacksaw tonight so it's fine now. Cheers for the info though.

#9 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 04 June 2018 - 05:53 AM

Love the look of this project very rare to see an Aqua car these days, love the rear camber ;D

#10 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 08:51 PM

Love the look of this project very rare to see an Aqua car these days, love the rear camber ;D

Ha ha, it's a rotten subframe that's collapsed. I've certainly got my work cut out on this one. Engine will be out by the weekend I've been taking off all of the fixtures and lights ect tonight. It's beginning to look very bare.

#11 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 08:57 PM

Attached File  DSC_1254.JPG   46.55K   4 downloads
Starting to look a bit more bare
Attached File  DSC_1256.JPG   39.61K   4 downloads
Wonder what horrors are behind this??
Attached File  DSC_1255.JPG   35.53K   4 downloads
Looks pretty scabby!

#12 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 05 June 2018 - 05:36 AM

But its so worth doing these MK3 minis are getting very hard to find these days. Keep the pics coming :)

#13 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 09:43 PM

Attached File  DSC_1268.JPG   47K   2 downloads

Attached File  DSC_1269.JPG   50.53K   3 downloads

Attached File  DSC_1259.JPG   55.67K   3 downloads

Attached File  DSC_1262.JPG   52.74K   3 downloads
Rotten as a pear
Attached File  DSC_1264.JPG   26K   4 downloads
Nice head lining though

#14 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  • Local Club: Not One Worth Mentioning

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:24 PM

& It looked so good in the first pic!

I thought you had gone mad when you sold the Black Tulip, at least we know this will end up as good as that one.

Has this one still got the original Mk3 inner door moulding trims (ALA5772/5773) & have you found a source for these.

#15 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:51 PM

Well that's going to keep you busy for a while!!!
Almost finished painting my '72 today.
Only planned on sorting out the rear toe angles back in November and found small holes in the closing panels in the front edge of the rear arch/quater panels. Decided to remove the outer sills and lower 1/4's to repair. Ended up redoing front inner sills and arches, jacking points, slinging brackets, n/s rear inner sill and the captive nut bracket on the heel board, drivers inner sill/seatbelt reinforcement, rear of boot floor, repairs to the rear of the inner arches, boot lid hinge panel, valance and closing plates with subframe reinforcement, drivers door skin. then bare metal and repaint.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users