#16 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 11:46 PM

& It looked so good in the first pic!
I thought you had gone mad when you sold the Black Tulip, at least we know this will end up as good as that one.

Has this one still got the original Mk3 inner door moulding trims (ALA5772/5773) & have you found a source for these.

Is that the door trims with the felt inners? If so, yes it has these.

I do regret selling blacktulip every day

#17 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 11:47 PM

Well that's going to keep you busy for a while!!!
Almost finished painting my '72 today.
Only planned on sorting out the rear toe angles back in November and found small holes in the closing panels in the front edge of the rear arch/quater panels. Decided to remove the outer sills and lower 1/4's to repair. Ended up redoing front inner sills and arches, jacking points, slinging brackets, n/s rear inner sill and the captive nut bracket on the heel board, drivers inner sill/seatbelt reinforcement, rear of boot floor, repairs to the rear of the inner arches, boot lid hinge panel, valance and closing plates with subframe reinforcement, drivers door skin. then bare metal and repaint.

Wow, that turned out to be a marathon ?

#18 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:52 PM

Engine is ready to be lifted out now. Everything is disconnected so I will get it out and get the shell up in the air hopefully this weekend.

#19 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:20 AM

I thought you had gone mad when you sold the Black Tulip, at least we know this will end up as good as that one.

Has this one still got the original Mk3 inner door moulding trims (ALA5772/5773) & have you found a source for these.

If that part no. is for the early stepped inner moulding then I've still got those on mine, outer ones are the minispares repro ones with the crimped metal ends.

Attached Files

#20 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Local Club: Not One Worth Mentioning

Posted 08 June 2018 - 12:03 PM

If that part no. is for the early stepped inner moulding then I've still got those on mine, outer ones are the minispares repro ones with the crimped metal ends.

Yup, that part number is for the 1" deep door inner moulding used (for wind up windows) up to some point in 1970, later Mk3s had a 1/2" deep moulding with felt. Being a 1970 blacktulips could have had either. More modern Minis used rubber instead of felt.

Only problem with the Mk3 door moulding is that they used staples to attach the felt, which can rust, expand, & scratch the glass! Thrown lots of Mk3 door glass away as they had been scored too deeply to polish out. Wondered about re-attaching them with stainless wire or using a PU adhesive sealant.

Edited by Itsaminithing, 16 July 2018 - 08:24 AM.

#21 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 01:56 PM

My old blacktulip had the felt ones. This one has the same original ones too

#22 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 03:27 PM

Attached File  DSC_1274.JPG   71.51K   5 downloads
Engine out
Attached File  DSC_1273.JPG   69.2K   5 downloads
Grotty old engine bay

#23 cookie4343

cookie4343

**Caution: Do Not Feed Alcohol**

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • Local Club: CV1 Mini's

Posted 09 June 2018 - 03:39 PM

Nice work mate, looking forward to seeing this thread progress as I have It all to come.

#24 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 05:18 PM

So I had to stop for today as the missus is going out. I managed to pull the drivers side wing and A panel off by hand and force. The inner wing is pretty shot. It looks like the door hinge has been welded to the flitch instead of bolts so I will have to grind it off. I also started to strip off the wiring loom from the front and taking lots of pictures of the connections.
DSC_1275_zpszlanszfw.jpg

DSC_1276_zpssedhmjy4.jpg

Edited by blacktulip, 09 June 2018 - 07:37 PM.

#25 cookie4343

cookie4343

**Caution: Do Not Feed Alcohol**

• Traders
  • 2,257 posts
  • Local Club: CV1 Mini's

Posted 09 June 2018 - 07:45 PM

Plenty of old bodgey repairs on this one. It's nice to see another mini being saved from the scrap yard.

#26 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:27 PM

DSC_1289_zps0dxvp79i.jpg

DSC_1286_zpspbf95lmf.jpg

Cracking on tonight, removing the dash and clocks. Got the loom to come out, I don't know how it comes out of the hole in the dash, it's so small. It's amazing what a good wire brushing can do to make it look a lot better.

DSC_1287_zps3mywpe0k.jpg

This is what its like under the top dash rail on the nearside

DSC_1288_zpseuokkcnt.jpg

This is the drivers side. More panels to do...

Edited by blacktulip, 12 June 2018 - 06:13 PM.

#27 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 12 June 2018 - 11:35 AM

She is a bit crusty, but nothing some fresh steel cant sort...

#28 mk3 Cooper S

mk3 Cooper S

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 11:36 AM

I knew you would be back with a MK3

Looks nice and original - lots of panelwork required - but value added in the end

Good luck with the project

#29 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 08:31 PM

Been quite busy lately so not much happening at the moment. Almost all of the interior is out now. I'm in a bit of a quandary as the front driver's side trumpet is shattered and the rear radius arm is twisted so the car in lopsided, so I'm just trying to work out the best way to get it up in the air so I can get the subframes off. Thinking of two scaffold boards, one under the front toeboard and another under the rear heelboard. Then at least I can brace it up knowing it's on level ground. Any ideas or advice welcome ?

#30 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 11:16 AM

Been quite busy lately so not much happening at the moment. Almost all of the interior is out now. I'm in a bit of a quandary as the front driver's side trumpet is shattered and the rear radius arm is twisted so the car in lopsided, so I'm just trying to work out the best way to get it up in the air so I can get the subframes off. Thinking of two scaffold boards, one under the front toeboard and another under the rear heelboard. Then at least I can brace it up knowing it's on level ground. Any ideas or advice welcome

Any progress on this project?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users