#1 myminipickup

myminipickup

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 10:01 AM

Hello,

I know this have been discussed several times, so forgive me if I am repeating things....

I have what seems to be an overheating problem. I've totally restored my Pickup, including rebuilding a 1275 A+ engine and using twin SUs. It has the original cam, head, etc. I have changed the water pump, thermostat, and all water pipes.  But I am using the original pickup fan and radiator.

I had the head drilled and taped for the temperature transmitter, and used a new transmitter from MiniSpares... I  installed a Smiths water gauge (the C N H type).

The car is not roadworthy yet - but I've running it up a few time, and when it runs on idle for 10mins or so the temperature gauge creeps up slowly towards the H - I then turn it off because I don't want it overheating.

I've read about how this could be a blocked radiator, or stuck thermostat, or broken water pump, etc. but its none of these because they are all new or reconditioned.

The engine seems to be timed and the mixture seems to be OK. It runs really nice on idle

Any ideas please?

Thank you.

Edited by myminipickup, 04 June 2018 - 11:19 AM.

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 04 June 2018 - 10:06 AM

I don't run thermostats on my minis, they always jam even when new(replaced 3 last year on the same engine)

I'd advise to use a CLR remover to clean the engine and radiator. Are you sure you don't have any air locks in the system?

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 04 June 2018 - 10:19 AM

so what temp is it getting to?

never had issues with thermostats and Mini ones should have a small hole at the side with a wiggly thing in it.

#4 myminipickup

myminipickup

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 10:32 AM

I don't run thermostats on my minis, they always jam even when new(replaced 3 last year on the same engine)

I'd advise to use a CLR remover to clean the engine and radiator. Are you sure you don't have any air locks in the system?

Not sure about air locks - there may be - the whole thing was taken apart... How would I remove the air lock?

Thanks

#5 myminipickup

myminipickup

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 10:34 AM

so what temp is it getting to?

never had issues with thermostats and Mini ones should have a small hole at the side with a wiggly thing in it.

I shows on the gauge up toward the H - between N and H but nearer the H  - but then I turn off the engine as I don't want it to really over heat

#6 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,844 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 04 June 2018 - 11:05 AM

Try measuring the temp with something else. A Lot of 'overheating' issues that I read seem to be in fact the gauge.

#7 myminipickup

myminipickup

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 11:21 AM

Try measuring the temp with something else. A Lot of 'overheating' issues that I read seem to be in fact the gauge.

Ok - I'll give it a go if I can find something else 

#8 Henry's Dad

Henry's Dad

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 11:31 AM

This might seem a daft suggestion, but could the temperature be rising because you're not actually moving? When you're driving cool air is constantly being passed through the grill and will help dissipate heat from the radiator, whereas if you're running the engine in situ you wouldn't generate that cooling effect. You might not actually have a problem, but I think the only way to verify that is with a test drive.

#9 myminipickup

myminipickup

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 11:41 AM

This might seem a daft suggestion, but could the temperature be rising because you're not actually moving? When you're driving cool air is constantly being passed through the grill and will help dissipate heat from the radiator, whereas if you're running the engine in situ you wouldn't generate that cooling effect. You might not actually have a problem, but I think the only way to verify that is with a test drive.

I've not driven it yet, so you could be right.. but surely it should be able to idle without overheating anyway?

#10 Henry's Dad

Henry's Dad

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 11:51 AM

Up to a point yes, it should idle without overheating, but as a rule people don't generally go out, fire up their motors and just let them idle. And overheating of cars in traffic jams is usually caused by engines idling for long periods of time without actually moving...

#11 EasterBern

EasterBern

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 11:51 AM

Might be worth checking the voltage of the supply at the gauge, it should be regulated. With the engine running if you are getting 14V there then the regulator isn't working or has been bypassed.

#12 Trissy B

Trissy B

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Local Club: Bognor Regis Motor Club

Posted 04 June 2018 - 12:15 PM

And check the fan is the right way around and in the cowling.

#13 smurfomatic

smurfomatic

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 01:11 PM

Also worth checking timing/mixture as if they're out then the engine won't be running efficiently.

#14 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 01:37 PM

How about a pic of your thermostat and radiator cowling in the engine compartment. Are you using the A plus sandwich plate set up? Use an IR gun to measure temps of the top and bottom hoses - the gauge could be inaccurate.

#15 myminipickup

myminipickup

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 02:57 PM

How about a pic of your thermostat and radiator cowling in the engine compartment. Are you using the A plus sandwich plate set up? Use an IR gun to measure temps of the top and bottom hoses - the gauge could be inaccurate.

I'm not using the A+ sandwich plate 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users