39 replies to this topic

#16 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 04:50 PM

If you have just rebuilt the engine I would advise against running it without load as it can affect the bedding in process of the piston rings. It's advisable to run the car under load asap. I would be looking at the timing and mixture first then get the car on the road and see what happens.

#17 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 05:15 PM

How about a pic of your thermostat and radiator cowling in the engine compartment. Are you using the A plus sandwich plate set up? Use an IR gun to measure temps of the top and bottom hoses - the gauge could be inaccurate.

I'm not using the A+ sandwich plate 

If your cylinder head does not have a bypass connection to the water pump then this could be the problem. And yes if this is a newly built engine I wouldn't be letting it idle away on the driveway either. It needs to be run in on the open road.

#18 hunterg30

hunterg30

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 05:15 PM

What core rad is it,? Don't people advise it better to use a 2 core on a 1275

#19 russo

russo

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Local Club: Minis In Nelson Inc.

Posted 04 June 2018 - 10:40 PM

This might seem a daft suggestion, but could the temperature be rising because you're not actually moving? When you're driving cool air is constantly being passed through the grill and will help dissipate heat from the radiator, whereas if you're running the engine in situ you wouldn't generate that cooling effect. You might not actually have a problem, but I think the only way to verify that is with a test drive.

As Moke Spider said, try measuring temp with something else. Also I think most Mini's get hot with any forward motion of vehicle, they need airflow. for cooling.

#20 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 05 June 2018 - 12:34 AM

How about a pic of your thermostat and radiator cowling in the engine compartment. Are you using the A plus sandwich plate set up? Use an IR gun to measure temps of the top and bottom hoses - the gauge could be inaccurate.

I'm not using the A+ sandwich plate 

If your cylinder head does not have a bypass connection to the water pump then this could be the problem. And yes if this is a newly built engine I wouldn't be letting it idle away on the driveway either. It needs to be run in on the open road.

not a problem. people have been running without the bypass hose and with a stat fitted for years.

#21 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,976 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 05 June 2018 - 06:32 AM

Once you know for sure that it is overheating you can check the thermostat in a pot of boiling water to make sure it's opening properly.

Do you have a heater fitted? If so is it blowing hot as well? Did you have the heater tap open when filling the coolant?

#22 Alpenflitzer

Alpenflitzer

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Local Club: no

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:31 AM

so what temp is it getting to?

never had issues with thermostats and Mini ones should have a small hole at the side with a wiggly thing in it.

I shows on the gauge up toward the H - between N and H but nearer the H  - but then I turn off the engine as I don't want it to really over heat

If the engine tends to overheat never never turn it off! Give the engine a minute to run idle and then turn off.

#23 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:27 PM

so what temp is it getting to?

never had issues with thermostats and Mini ones should have a small hole at the side with a wiggly thing in it.

I shows on the gauge up toward the H - between N and H but nearer the H - but then I turn off the engine as I don't want it to really over heat

If the engine tends to overheat never never turn it off! Give the engine a minute to run idle and then turn off.
He says it starts to overheat at idle. With your advice what would you do then?. ? ??

Edited by Sprocket, 06 June 2018 - 06:28 PM.

#24 myminipickup

myminipickup

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:56 PM

Thanks for your replies..

I think I need to drive it and see what happens.

The radiator is the original one from the 1000cc engine, with the original yellow fan.

I've checked the fan is on the correct way round.

It doesn't have a by-pass hose - but I drilled a few holes in the thermostat as recommended.

#25 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,899 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:33 PM

Thanks for your replies..

I think I need to drive it and see what happens.

The radiator is the original one from the 1000cc engine, with the original yellow fan.

I've checked the fan is on the correct way round.

It doesn't have a by-pass hose - but I drilled a few holes in the thermostat as recommended.

you dont need holes. just the one with the wiggly thing in is all that is needed. many holes just slows down the engine getting up to temp.

#26 ings

ings

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 10:20 AM

for me overheating means water starts to boil and steam comming out of the bonnet.

As long you see no steam everithing is safe.

Minis are old and can overheat in trafficjam in hot summer temperatures.

They need an airstream to cool down.

check your carbouretor and distributor setup to reduce the heat.

#27 myminipickup

myminipickup

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 03:51 PM

Thanks for your replies... Just a quick update which may help me with my "problem" if there is one....

My Pickup is now on the road, so when driving it, the temperature stays at N - with no problem - but when it sits at traffic lights idling  - the temperature quickly moves up to nearing the H.. but then when you move again, it goes down to N again. 

So would a new 3 core radiator help such as this one - https://www.minispar...ic/ARP2000.aspx

Many thanks

#28 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 04:24 PM

You suggest at the start of the thread that everything is new or reconditioned, but, just checking, what's been done to the original radiator? Not sure why you're looking at a new radiator if the original one has been refurbed and is in theory performing to spec.

Have you measured the temp to understand what numbers you're dealing with? H and N are just relative terms especially if the gauge isn't that accurate.

#29 ings

ings

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 12:36 PM

maybe just remove the gauge and the problem is gone. :-)

Dont see why you need a new one, but new parts are always nice.

#30 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,899 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 12:41 PM

Thanks for your replies... Just a quick update which may help me with my "problem" if there is one....

My Pickup is now on the road, so when driving it, the temperature stays at N - with no problem - but when it sits at traffic lights idling  - the temperature quickly moves up to nearing the H.. but then when you move again, it goes down to N again. 

So would a new 3 core radiator help such as this one - https://www.minispar...ic/ARP2000.aspx

Many thanks

so what is the problem? and have you actually taken and real temp readings yet?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users