1 reply to this topic

#1 jerrydt

jerrydt

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 11:53 AM

Hi all, new to the forum! I recently took the plunge and bought a 1993 Mini Cooper SPI. Structurally she's sound, great bodywork, no rot, no oversills etc. But mechanically/eletrically it has a few niggles. The throttle issue is the one I'd like some guidance with if possible!

Firstly the throttle is very sensitive, which I can live with. But it does seem a little too sensitive, not how it should be at least. My issue with it is that if I actuate the throttle anymore than 5mm, the engine stutters. Throttle kicks out, revs don't climb etc. If I move it about 2mm, it revs perfectly, quite high too as the throttle is so sensitive. I can easily take the car to 5000RPM without moving my foot a great deal.

If I try to "floor it" the throttle kicks out and I lose power. Does anyone know where I should start with this?

Thanks,

Dylan

#2 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 05 June 2018 - 03:32 PM

93 is borderline as to whether it has a throttle switch on the pedal. Easy to identify, look under the dash at the throttle pedal, there will be a spring attached to the pedal shaft, a small round circular disc also attached to the pedal shaft and the switch that is behind that disc mounted near the bulkhead. If you then look at the ECU, it will have a small electrical connector with two or three wires in it, and the larger connector with most of the wires in it.

If you confirm that you see all the above, you need to test the switch is working correctly, which is not a difficult task.

If you don’t see any of that, you don’t have the throttle switch and it’s something else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users