#1 luismx123

luismx123

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 06:47 AM

Hey everyone,
As the title says I'm looking into buying my first mini.

I've been searching for a while now but haven't found the perfect fit. Either the colour is off, engine is too small or there's too much interior/exterior work to be done.

My question is under what circumstances do you make compromises or is it better to wait for the right one?
Would you go for a different colour but perfect bodywork, the wrong engine but everything else checking the list, etc? What's most important to you?

A bit about me. I'm a big guy, 6'4 230lb, looking for a sportyish mini with some umpf in black. I'm mechanically skilled but have no engine experience. I don't have direct garage space for much work, but anything is possible. This car is supposed to be my daily driver (usually 30-80km trips 3-4x a week).

Any advice would be great
Luis

#2 Richie83

Richie83

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:27 AM

Bodywork should be a key consideration - it’s by far the biggest money pit IMO. I wouldn’t buy a car with a colour I didn’t like though.

#3 Screwdriver

Screwdriver

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:32 AM

Hi Luis,

I was in your position 3 years ago. My advice is as follows:

1) The Classic Mini really isn't a daily driver type of vehicle anymore. If you need one of those, pick up a cherry R53 Mini for daily driving for much less than a Classic Mini will cost you. IMO, the classic Mini should be preserved for the weekend drive or the occasional road trip.

2) If you reference buyer guides like I did, they'll all tell you to look for pristine body panels and no rust. Everything else can be fixed rather inexpensively but I would argue that the classic Mini is no longer an inexpensive ownership proposition. 

Given the above, I purchased a Japanese import with zero rust. I looked for a 35 Anniversary edition with aircon with its nostalgic almond green exterior, and found a 1 owner car that I snapped up instantly. Haven't looked back since. 

#4 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:33 AM

Hi,

Welcome to the forum  :D

Colour is an entirely a personal choice Vs how long you're prepared to wait.

Good body work is essential unless you really want to spend a long time with a welder. If the body is good check for any repairs and the quality of them. 

Engines are easy enough to change but check the regulations in your country and the insurance situation...

Happy hunting!

Cheers  :proud:

Edited by Bat, 07 June 2018 - 07:35 AM.

#5 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:48 AM

Hey everyone,
As the title says I'm looking into buying my first mini.

I've been searching for a while now but haven't found the perfect fit. Either the colour is off, engine is too small or there's too much interior/exterior work to be done.

My question is under what circumstances do you make compromises or is it better to wait for the right one?
Would you go for a different colour but perfect bodywork, the wrong engine but everything else checking the list, etc? What's most important to you?

A bit about me. I'm a big guy, 6'4 230lb, looking for a sportyish mini with some umpf in black. I'm mechanically skilled but have no engine experience. I don't have direct garage space for much work, but anything is possible. This car is supposed to be my daily driver (usually 30-80km trips 3-4x a week).

Any advice would be great
Luis

"I'm looking into buying my first Mini"

Better 59 years late, than never !

#6 luismx123

luismx123

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:48 AM

Hey! thanks for the quick replies!

So im taking it, body work is key! Everything else falls next in line. 

Screwdriver, I know what you mean. Unfortunately im really stubborn and ill probably put everything into it to make it work. Im old enough now and working since a while so money isnt realllllly an issue - however - the less i pay the happier i am :P

Does anyone have any good car sites that sell LHD minis? I live in central europe so buying a RHD from england/japan might be difficult. Basically diving into autoscout on a daily. Looking around the 4-6k mark. Not sure if its possible to expect a car with great exterior for that price. 

Thanks

#7 racingbob

racingbob

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:15 AM

keep to no more than fast road cam like mg metro 266 sw5

#8 SolarB

SolarB

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:31 AM

Hi Luis,

I was in your position 3 years ago. My advice is as follows:

1) The Classic Mini really isn't a daily driver type of vehicle anymore. If you need one of those, pick up a cherry R53 Mini for daily driving for much less than a Classic Mini will cost you. IMO, the classic Mini should be preserved for the weekend drive or the occasional road trip.

Not true!

I commute in my Mini 4 days a week on a 30 mile round trip. The Mini hasn't changed, just people's ideas and expectations. Believe it or not years ago millions of people drove Minis every day.

Some initial work and a little preventative maintenance has proved my Mini to be more reliable than the more modern cars I drive.

#9 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:54 PM

Minis aren't daily drivers? YES.... YES THEY ARE!

Our 998(in my avatar image) is driven daily, then does club runs. Infact we just done about 200 miles on the thistle run a couple of weeks ago. Both our cars never missed a beat all day.

Yes both cars have had restoration work, the estate I own had had a full rear subframe rebuild over the winter, front brake conversion, a replacement steering rack but all are wear items.

Keep a stock of consumables and have a few local parts places on speed dial and you'll be ok

Edited by cal844, 07 June 2018 - 12:57 PM.

#10 luismx123

luismx123

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:56 PM

Any good places to look for minis? I only know of eBay and co. -.-

#11 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:58 PM

Mini world, mini magazine and try auto trader website too

#12 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 02:48 PM

hpi check before ya go, buy a magnet , take some one who knows minis if not ask at club can some one come with you, don't not take a mate .. now that magnet will help you work out how much in restoration work is needed if it stick it metal, if it don't its filler and walk away , don't buy the first one , start looking now and find what ya looking at , no a mini at least 18 years old and they are ment to last 10 years , mines 2000 sports pack had a scuttle , font end and 3rd set off sills I guess minis are expensive and not great for your first car , make and modles not so important less ya have ya heart set on summit ...

#13 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:45 PM

oh forgot if its to good be true then it is..... oh and a garage or minimum decent off road parking is a must for ya......and nothing modded and do what mum tell ya belive me most the time there quite right..

Edited by ukcooper, 07 June 2018 - 09:46 PM.

#14 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:21 AM

Any good places to look for minis? I only know of eBay and co. -.-

Luis,

The best Mini for you could be an Innocenti Mini-Cooper 1300 Export.

They are all left-hand-drive, are very stylish inside, have excellent colour choice and have what is effectively a Cooper 'S' 1275 engine giving c.75 bhp as standard.

I had one and it was a great car.

Look on Google as there is an Italian web-site selling them and Italian ones are more rust-free.

Good luck with your search.

#15 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,804 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 08 June 2018 - 11:35 AM

Does anyone have any good car sites that sell LHD minis? I live in central europe so buying a RHD from england/japan might be difficult. Basically diving into autoscout on a daily. Looking around the 4-6k mark. Not sure if its possible to expect a car with great exterior for that price. 

Thanks

A selection of LHD Innocenti Minis and more:-

https://www.kijiji.i.../?entryPoint=sb

Innocenti Minis:-

http://www.theminifo...s/#entry3543048

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users