37 replies to this topic

#1 Pauljb

Pauljb

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:24 PM

Hi guys. So a while ago I had a problem with no gearson my 1984 1275 mini. Had a play round with it and posted on the forums. Was told one problem could be the diff pin. Took engine out and removed diff. Begging my ignorance, but this is an x-pin diff right? It looks fine to me an the the only thing i see is the bolt looking thing in the middle is lose. Is this normal? Can't see anything else wrong with it. All teeth look fine and no adverse wearing on anything. Any ideas??
Cheers
Paul

Attached Files

#2 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,641 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:29 PM

Standard Diff that. Cross pin has 4 pinions and a machined housing :) 

Edited by Midas Mk1, 07 June 2018 - 12:30 PM.

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,940 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:31 PM

and the pin in the middle will be worn.

#4 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:31 PM

thts a standard diff, the x pin or cross pin diff has 2 pins as per the one lined below. Unkless the dif pin has escaped through the casing, or the planet wheels broken up thaeen that looks ok, althoug worth slipping the dif pin out and checking for wear while its out.

I would say more likley, the pinion gear that that meshes with has come off the end of the main shaft, is the engine off the box? of can you get a pic in through the hole the diff was mounted.

http://www.minispare...|Back to search

unless of course its just a clutch issue

#5 slidehammer

slidehammer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 07 June 2018 - 01:11 PM

I hope you have checked the more obvious things before pulling it all apart. Things like the gear linkage / selector. Clutch and clutch release mechanism. If a diff goes they normally either wear and get noisy or go with a bang and do a lot of internal damage.  . 

#6 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,920 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 07 June 2018 - 06:08 PM

Is the issue that you have no drive what so ever or that you are unable to get the car in to any gear?

#7 Pauljb

Pauljb

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:18 PM

I can select all gears, but no drive, just a horrible noise, like a bike chain coming off.
Clutch pedal had a low biting point, but bled ok and no grinding while selecting gears.
All gears look fine, no wear our missing teeth.
I did notice that I could change gears without using the clutch.
That bolt thing in the middle of the pin does move a bit though.
Box is still on engine. The gear that the diff comes in contact with is fine as well. I'll upload a pic of what I can see.

#8 Allrounder

Allrounder

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Local Club: Hereford Motor Club

Posted 08 June 2018 - 12:41 PM

From what you described I’d be look at the clutch assembly. Particularly the friction plate. As the engines out it’s fairly easy to do.

#9 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,920 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 08 June 2018 - 06:52 PM

From what you described I’d be look at the clutch assembly. Particularly the friction plate. As the engines out it’s fairly easy to do.

I was about to suggest the same. I suspect the friction material has broken away.

#10 Pauljb

Pauljb

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:53 PM

Ok. Will check this on my next day off. The chap i bought the car off did tell me that it was fitted with a performance clutch. I'll soon find out when I treasure the cover off and it all falls apart in my hand! Itching to get back in her and drive! Thanks guys.
Will keep you posted

#11 Pauljb

Pauljb

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:17 PM

Guys I'm struggling getting the clutch assembly off. I've managed to line evetything up and followed the haynes manual. But it's as tight as nuns chuff! Does the bolt in the middle need to come out (I've tried with bolt in AND bolt out). Even bent my puller centre bolt with the force exerted on it! Is there anything I'm missing???

#12 Its a min

Its a min

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:36 PM

Are you talking flywheel bolt? If so, this needs to come out as does the flywheel keyway under it:

item 12 on the attached.

https://www.minispar...h.aspx?2~13~120

#13 Pauljb

Pauljb

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:30 AM

Yeah, that bolt. Took it out and removed the keyway (which only fits in ones way). Fitted the puller with the bolts and tightened the plunger bolt stopped when I saw it bend. Gave it a little persuasion win a hammer but no budge.

#14 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:12 AM

Yeah, that bolt. Took it out and removed the keyway (which only fits in ones way). Fitted the puller with the bolts and tightened the plunger bolt stopped when I saw it bend. Gave it a little persuasion win a hammer but no budge.

Something doesn't sound right here; is this a Verto or pre Verto clutch - how about a picture of what you are attempting to do.

#15 Pauljb

Pauljb

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:06 AM

Yeah sure. Standard valeo clutch assembly. Verto. The engines a 1275 (from my 1984 mini but not the original engine). This is all I saw when I took the cover plate off.
Was waiting for the 'bang' but never came!

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users