#16 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:35 AM

I would like to see that slot horizontal and the flywheel locked in place.

then lube the thread on the mail puller bolt. make sure the plate is parallel to the flywheel and tighten up the puller. then go do something else. work. food, beer,sleep but apply a bit more pressure between each thing and it will come off.

#17 Pauljb

Pauljb

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:28 PM

I did have the flywheel locked in place with a piece of steel bar. I thunk I see where I've gone wrong. The haynes manual also says slot drive should be horizontal. In a rush to very it off I skipped this bit. Oops.
Thank guys. Will let u know what the clutch looks like once off.

#18 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:34 PM

the reason is only to make sure there is Zero chance of the C clip moving.as if it does there is a chance of the flywheel being lose but retained by a bent C clip.

#19 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:46 PM

Can we see a pic of your flywheel puller ?

#20 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:40 PM

Yip Verto clutch, hope you got a nice strong flywheel puller. Bolt it on ensuring the plate is perfectly parallel to the flywheel and the centre bolt piece is fitted into the crankshaft bolt hole. Tighten it up slowly, it might be stubborn so leave it overnight under tension. A good smack with a heavy copper hammer can often help to break it loose. If really stubborn then heat with a propane torch on the flywheel around the crankshaft (remove pressure plate and clutch first) will also assist. 

Except if you are only wanting to replace the clutch plate then it is not necessary to remove the Verto flywheel.

#21 Pauljb

Pauljb

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:37 PM

Flywheel is lose but no movement on the clutch assembly. This is what it did to my puller bolt. Will have to buy a new one in the morning and leave it all day. Really only want my clutch off to see if it's the reason why I've no drive...
Think I'll buy a heavier duty puller set!

Attached Files

#22 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:12 PM

rent this

http://www.guess-wor...play.htm?id=532

you can see how massive it is here

av28DeH.jpg

#23 Pauljb

Pauljb

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 09:01 PM

Still having trouble weigh thus clutch. Managed to get hold of a proper puller set ahs resided a clutch of an old engine i have (came off relatively easy) but the one I'm struggling with has been under tension for 2 days now!
I did notice that the washer behind the crank bolt had an 'F' on it. Set it up so this was at the front but still a right bugger and no budge from the clutch itself.
Just have to keep tightening it up a little every so often...

#24 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 09:51 PM

Remove that washer.

#25 Its a min

Its a min

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 09:59 PM

I did have the flywheel locked in place with a piece of steel bar. I thunk I see where I've gone wrong. The haynes manual also says slot drive should be horizontal. In a rush to very it off I skipped this bit. Oops.
Thank guys. Will let u know what the clutch looks like once off.

Are you saying you didn't lock the flywheel with the slot in a horizontal position? If so, as Nicklouse has said, the C washer may have slipped and is stopping the flywheel/clutch assembly from coming off. And as Dusky has just mentioned, the flywheel bolt and washer/keyway need to be removed. If not, you're trying to pull the assembly whilst pushing the washer against the assembly.

Edited by Its a min, 20 June 2018 - 10:11 PM.

#26 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 05:54 AM

Flywheel is lose but no movement on the clutch assembly. This is what it did to my puller bolt. Will have to buy a new one in the morning and leave it all day. Really only want my clutch off to see if it's the reason why I've no drive...

I do not understand - you say flywheel is loose but no movement on the clutch assembly, what sort of set up do you have here? Is the slot washer that was behind the big flywheel bolt removed?

#27 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 06:44 AM

Here is a series of excellent Youtubes on how to remove a verto clutch.

#28 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 08:07 AM

I do not understand - you say flywheel is loose but no movement on the clutch assembly, what sort of set up do you have here? Is the slot washer that was behind the big flywheel bolt removed?

easy it is a Verto set up. the pressure assy bolts to the crank. the flywheel bolts to that. you can remove the bolts and the flywheel is lose. but can not be removed as the pressure assy is still attached.

#29 Pauljb

Pauljb

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 04:42 PM

The bolts that hold clutch to flywheel are all out as are the centre bolt and slot washer. Everything's lined up as it should be. Even rotated the engine to 'centralize' everything. Im guessing this clutch assy is what my original problem is!
Great video by the way rorf.

#30 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 04:46 PM

The bolts that hold clutch to flywheel are all out as are the centre bolt and slot washer. Everything's lined up as it should be. Even rotated the engine to 'centralize' everything. Im guessing this clutch assy is what my original problem is!
Great video by the way rorf.

so how are you going to hold the fly wheel in place?

1WBINWz.jpg

uFVtGn8.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users