8 replies to this topic

#1 mr3speed

mr3speed

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 01:25 PM

I have a Minispares Drum to 7.5” disk conversion and its time to do a disk and pad replacement.
Can anyone recommend a better 7.5” disk thats better than their standard one that come in the kit? I understand you can’t get a vented disk on that caliper? Im also looking for a uprated pad to put in. Spirited driving sees alot of brake fade, last weekend required using the handbrake to stop! Any recommendations please

Edited by mr3speed, 07 June 2018 - 01:26 PM.

#2 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 01:55 PM

I always used to use the minispares uprated disc, although to be honest the fade is going to be more pad related, what pads do you have? if they are still the ones from the kit they are probably std street pads, so its worth trying a set of Mintex 1144's. there are the carbon metalics, which apparently work great but are noisy and leave a lot of dust.

I wouldnt bother with Green stuffs, ive never liked them on anything.

https://www.minispar...MS.aspx|Back to

#3 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 02:38 PM

more likely to be the pads than the disc and maybe you have a air lock as if you have that holds the pads on and they over heat - air lock are a sod some times ... I use MINTEX M1144 expensive but good ...make sure you get the version you need !!!!!

#4 mr3speed

mr3speed

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 02:38 PM

Thanks for the information. Yes all standard Minispares kit currently on there. Whats the difference with their uprated disk, any idea?

#5 mr3speed

mr3speed

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 02:41 PM

Its not that i have issues with the braking system operation its to do with the standard Minispares equipment not being upto scratch on hard use!
Vented disk would of been ideal if there was one to loose some heat. Sounds like the Mintex pads are the way to go!

#6 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 06:54 PM

The steel looks and feels better quality, often on " higher grade" discs the metal is softer, so although it wears quicker it gives more friction, but is more uniform so wears more evenly doesn't warp etc...

#7 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:37 PM

Good pads and fresh fluid, maybe even Dot5.1 if you really are getting lots of heat in.

#8 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:50 PM

I agree with Graeme, you need better fluid. I had a similar issue with my Mini on a run in the mountains recently, once the brakes cooled my pedal was good again. New Dot 5.1 fluid will help, you can also buy racing brake fluid that has an even higher boiling point...... 

Also, if you can engineer some air ducts to put air onto the brakes, that could help. Dot 5 is silicone fluid, only go to that if you're planning to replace of flush the entire brake system.

Finally you need higher temp pads.

#9 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 11:01 PM

Air ducting is a great idea, but to be honest on the road your really not going to get near the temp that will give fluid issues, it's nearly always the pads.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users