#1 dasupersprint

dasupersprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 12:42 PM

Hello,

Yesterday I put back the steering in the Mini. I'm wondering if the column is into the spindles enough? If not, how can I force it down more? I don't want to bang on the steering wheel.

Also (second pic) I guess the non-threaded part of  the track rod ends are meant to go inside the steering arms? It doesn't seem to fit?

As you can see, I'm having trouble getting shafts into holes

LtxLMKM.jpg

ms72VmX.jpg

#2 SolarB

SolarB

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 12:48 PM

Hello Dasupersprint.

The rack shaft has a groove without splines, the pinch bolt for the column should align with this groove.

As for the track rod ends, you'll find they are a better fit if you put them in from the other side.

#3 dasupersprint

dasupersprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 12:52 PM

Hello Dasupersprint.

The rack shaft has a groove without splines, the pinch bolt for the column should align with this groove.

As for the track rod ends, you'll find they are a better fit if you put them in from the other side.

Haha I'm laughing at myself, putting stuff upside down

#4 SolarB

SolarB

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 12:59 PM

I was as polite as I could be......

#5 miniseven61

miniseven61

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 06:15 PM

Sorry to brutal but if you don't know what you are doing leave well alone and find somebody that does, it is essential that steering and brakes are 100% right or it is an accident waiting to happen!!

#6 dasupersprint

dasupersprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:35 PM

Sorry to offend you but I come here for advice, and usually that's what I get. I've been working on and off on this project for 9 years. It's not like it's my daily driver, the car is a rolling shell and I'm slowly putting it back together. I put it back on it's wheels quickly in 2016 to move from one house to another (on a trailer). I didn't even torque anything. And here I am two years later looking at this thing and wondering if it's right. I thought asking the forum would be a quick a right way? I'm not stupid, and believe me this car will be as perfect as it can be. You could've laugh with me and carry on, but instead you insulted me. Please be aware of the whole story next time.

Edited by dasupersprint, 12 June 2018 - 03:40 PM.

#7 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 12 June 2018 - 04:51 PM

Sorry to offend you but I come here for advice, and usually that's what I get. I've been working on and off on this project for 9 years. It's not like it's my daily driver, the car is a rolling shell and I'm slowly putting it back together. I put it back on it's wheels quickly in 2016 to move from one house to another (on a trailer). I didn't even torque anything. And here I am two years later looking at this thing and wondering if it's right. I thought asking the forum would be a quick a right way? I'm not stupid, and believe me this car will be as perfect as it can be. You could've laugh with me and carry on, but instead you insulted me. Please be aware of the whole story next time.

Take your time with the project, I've been around minis for 9 years, even I'm still learning.

Remember folks there is never a stupid question, if it's a question it needs answered!

The pinch bolt has a slot in the splines which it must aline, usually I centre the steering rack(search on here, there's loads of threads showing how to).

It's really simple to do though care must be taken to avoid damage

#8 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,934 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:11 AM

if you dont have a Haynes workshop manual please buy one. if you do please use it.

as above there is never a stupid question and many people have put the TREs in the wrong way around.

#9 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:49 AM

Hello Dasupersprint.

Haha I'm laughing at myself, putting stuff upside down

Don't worry, when I stripped my mini down I found the tie rod end the wrong way too - and it had covered 4000kms like this since the last mechanic worked on it. :D

#10 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,915 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 22 June 2018 - 03:16 PM

Best one I ever managed was when we had a brake cylinder leak on the way to the MOT .. pedal went soft .. and didn't take long to spot the brake fluid on the front drum and backplate .. drove back home (slowly) and luckily we had a spare set of seals on the garage shelf. About 40 minutes later we had the cylinder back on and bled .. and off we went again (Dad and me). This time we didn't have a soft pedal after a few stops .. I had NO pedal!

What we realised is when we put the cylinder back my Dad didn't loosen the inner end of the flexi hose where it joined the copper pipes but just screwed the hose back into the cylinder and nipped it up. As some of your may have already guessed, in doing so he twisted the hose .. every time I used the brakes the hose was unwinding a bit until it just fell out of the back of the cylinder dumping my DOT4 all over the road .. about 20 yards from the MOT station .. not my Dad's finest moment but we all make mistakes in haste! And if you never got anything wrong, how would you learn?

Just to finish this tale .. I was the last MOT that day and on seeing our plight the garage owner put the car on the lift and gave us 45 mins to fix it. Even giving me the DOT 4 to bleed it off and a pile of rags and cleaning fluid to get it sorted for the MOT! This time we loosened the hose at the inner end too. Stupidly I declined his offer to be an apprentice in his garage thinking my 'A-Levels' were more important .. Many, many years later .. I'm not so sure but I'm also not sure my life since would have been quite the same and I can't complain ... :D

Edited by gazza82, 22 June 2018 - 03:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users