6 replies to this topic

#1 Kylie Ann

Kylie Ann

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 02:01 PM

I've got a 998 a plus that cuts out intermittently and it's starting to become rather annoying. basically it starts and drives fine but then when cruising along at say 40 - 50 it's just dies but if I turn the ignition switch off and back on quickly while still rolling it runs again. I have tried coming off the accelerator and back on or dipping the clutch etc but only the ignition trick works

also just to note just before putting car back on the road I replaced the Dizzy for an electronic one, new coil, new leads, new plugs, new battery, new carb gaskets and seals.

battery gives good voltage and alternator is charging well

only thing I can think is fuel pump, or am I completely off?

thanks and any help much appreciated

#2 minihobbymini

minihobbymini

Loves Bobbies with Moobs

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts
  • Local Club: No thanks!

Posted 08 June 2018 - 02:19 PM

Sounds like you may be getting an intermittent poor electrical contact..
Maybe at speed the air rushing in the front is pushing the wire back from the dizzy and causing an intermittent fault?

Few questions though..

Is the coil getting hot?
Have you set the float level correctly in the carb bowl?
Have you got the correct coil? Are you using the pink coil wire or a direct 12v feed?

Hard to cure without seeing the car but keep the info coming and I’m sure one of us can help you..

#3 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 02:41 PM

If dipping the clutch and bringing it back up doesn’t restart the engine the ignition isn’t working. May sound daft but are you catching the ignition switch with your knees or something.

#4 Hedgey

Hedgey

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 03:41 PM

This sounds like a bad earth connection to me. Had similar problems with a mini and a Hillman super minx and these were both due to corroded earth points.

Elliott

#5 Kylie Ann

Kylie Ann

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:41 PM

Sounds like you may be getting an intermittent poor electrical contact..
Maybe at speed the air rushing in the front is pushing the wire back from the dizzy and causing an intermittent fault?

Few questions though..

Is the coil getting hot?
Have you set the float level correctly in the carb bowl?
Have you got the correct coil? Are you using the pink coil wire or a direct 12v feed?

Hard to cure without seeing the car but keep the info coming and I’m sure one of us can help you..

thanks for reply. coil isn't getting hot at all, not untouchable or anything. It's a Lucas sports coil that was supplied as a set with the powerspark dizzy I bought

float level wasn't touched but it's a good point so will check thats in spec tomorrow

yellow /white wire straight from loom. Its a metro with a 998  :shy:

I will say it had the fault before changing all the parts I have, thought it was cured but still remains. I've started the car a few times since earlier and it's idled fine, just does it when foot is down and driving

#6 Kylie Ann

Kylie Ann

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:42 PM

This sounds like a bad earth connection to me. Had similar problems with a mini and a Hillman super minx and these were both due to corroded earth points.

Elliott

will clean up the earth point tomorrow and see what happens, thanks

#7 Kylie Ann

Kylie Ann

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:58 PM

well I checked the carb float height and that was spot on, also cleaned up earthing points but that made no difference. left car running and jiggled wiring around and it cut out, tried to fire back up and was getting no spark. Then I jiggled wiring loom around a little more and the thing started to smoke heavily from a section of loom. Seems the fault was a shorting wire (main ignition feed) and this was so bad it's melted a huge section of loom. Lucky it did it while I was stood next to it and not driving otherwise it might have gone up. Thanks for the help everyone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mini Spares