8 replies to this topic

#1 elguapo

elguapo

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 09:21 PM

Months ago I started to replace the butchered looms on my spi.

Aside from struggling to get the right loom eventually we found the set that closely resembles the combination someone at rover picked the day my car was built.

But it was so long since I started I now can't remember where one of the plugs goes and need to identify the six or so plugs with no matching male connectors.

First is the 5 pin oblong plug. Where should that hook up to? It was on the previous loom but cannot find anywhere for it.

Next are the 6 or so female connectors that sit behind the grille.

On the original loom someone had looped lots of wires into them and it seems added connections to the headlights. I guess something to do with dim dip? There are no wires present to match into them.

Also at some point the harness for the spots had been spliced into, would a spotlight harness have these missing connections?

1993 mini spi 4 fuse box, single plug ecu.Attached File  20180610_192959.jpg   54.79K   17 downloadsAttached File  20180610_193011.jpg   37.52K   11 downloads

#2 kyle_1275

kyle_1275

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 09:53 PM

The female connectors scream spotlights; I see a blue/white high beam in there. As for the 5-pin I’m unsure on that one!

#3 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 10 June 2018 - 09:54 PM

The multi connector looks like wiper motor plug.

The others are probably various lights, check the colours against a wiring diagram. It can be confusing as the headlamp loom might not match the colours.

#4 elguapo

elguapo

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 10:34 PM

Thanks. Had a feeling it was wiper motor.

The female connectors def do seem light related but the spotlight harness just has two click connectors, harness then returns to a yellow relay with a brow/purple wire into fuse 1 I think.

I know when the car had some restoration they put some additional wires to the main lights too, not sure why now.

#5 elguapo

elguapo

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:06 AM

Looking at the collection of seven female connectors and the separate harness for the spots I have a question:

The harness for the spots had been previously butchered, you can see the type of connectors in the picture and it goes off to a relay which is connected to Fuse 1-2.

The harness appears to have had wires cut at some point - would the complete harness have these male connectors do you think? If so, I've tried unsuccessfully to spot the correct harness on miniparts etc so would anyone have any pointers?

I'll also try to get pictures of the back of the main headlamps as at some point some additional connectors have been wired in, they look like relays so I wonder if this car was originally sold without dim dip but then converted to it as I cannot see a ballast behind the radiator anywhere.

So close to finishing this job off now so any help greatly appreciated :)

#6 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 11:26 AM

Hi,

Multiplug, definately wiper motor.

Wires at front panel, sidelights, headlights and the purple possibly the horn, hard to tell from that picture.

Cheers :proud:

#7 elguapo

elguapo

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:46 PM

Cheers, so those are the wires that just go through the front part of the wing near the grille? I guess I'll probably need some new bloody lamps (or just rewire, joy but at least I just found a bag of about 20,000 multiplugs at home!)

#8 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 04:31 PM

Yup :)

#9 elguapo

elguapo

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 09:40 PM

All

thanks for your help, everything came together just on the day I had to go into hospital for what turned out a not so routine op!

The car has started first key turn, its been such a relief.

There is one last wire question. I have a wire that needs to connect to the 4 main fuse in the bulkhead. There is a thread on here that brilliantly details the wiring but it references a green/orange wire - that is wired in to the correct terminal... however, on this loom, there is also a light green wire that has an orange band, like an elastic band, around it.

Does anyone know what circuit that wire is for so I can put it on the right terminal?

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users