#1 DUF2

DUF2

Formally known as DUFfi

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Local Club: Whickham & DMC

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:50 PM

Talking with some guys at the weekend, someone said about a brake pipe being split, this led me to think about the single circuit brakes on my '65 Elf.
How easy is it to convert to dual circuit WITHOUT making the car look too modern? It has 8.4" discs on the front which would be very easy to pipe up as dual circuit. However Imay wish to fit a servo in the future so an original type remote servo would be no good with a split system.
Comments please.

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:09 PM

just make sure your hand brake works.

yes you can fit a split MC without servo. 

remember a servo only reduces the pressure needed at the foot for the same braking power.

#3 Swift_General

Swift_General

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:13 PM

You will need to run an additional line to the rear of the car (if going for a split diagonal). The line would normally sit above both subframe though which would be a pain unless the subframes were off anyway. The most obvious thing will be the master cylinder though from the post of view of it looking original. You may have to change rear wheel cylinders to prevent locking (I'm assuming you have the limiter valve on the rear subframe at the mo). As you have said you can't fit a standard remote servo to a diagonally split dial circuit system (although there are dual remote servos out there but they are huge). Another option is to use a front/rear split and servo the front only. That way you don't need to mess with the rear limiting valve, or run a second line to the rear.

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:15 PM

you do not want to fit a diagonal split system. there is a very good reason they were only fitted for a few short years. they are dangerous.

#5 DUF2

DUF2

Formally known as DUFfi

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Local Club: Whickham & DMC

Posted 11 June 2018 - 04:42 PM

just make sure your hand brake works.

yes you can fit a split MC without servo.

remember a servo only reduces the pressure needed at the foot for the same braking power.

Thanks Nick, handbrake should be OK, new shoes, drums & cables, also new wheel cylinders.
Yes I know a servo does not improve the brakes, it just assist with a lighter brake pedal. My Elf is not on the road yet, once I have driven it I will decide wether I can put up with no servo and a heavy brake pedal.

Edited by DUF2, 11 June 2018 - 04:44 PM.

#6 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,935 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 11 June 2018 - 06:30 PM

Many guys out this way with Tandem Brakes fit the Servo to the Fronts and that does the trick.

If you're after a period look, there was a Tandem master Cylinder that was offered through BMC's Special Tuning back from the late 60's to meet Competition Rules. While, as with all Tandem Cylinders, does lookquite different to the Single Cylinder, being of that type, it will look period correct.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users