3 replies to this topic

#1 MK1russ

MK1russ

Learner Driver

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:27 PM

I've got a set of twin HS4 carbs that i'm in the process of rebuilding and was wondering if it would be worth fitting the HIF ball-bearing type dashpots/pistons and the LZX2085 quick lift dampers, as i already have them going spare?

I've read on a previous thread on here that it's a worthwhile mod on the single HS type carbs, so assume that it would be on the twin carb setups?

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,610 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:32 PM

the later HS4 had them anyway IIRC

#3 Pigeonto

Pigeonto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • Local Club: Colchester Mini Club

Posted 11 June 2018 - 06:23 PM

I have the reverse, HS on HIF bodies.

There's a good reason and it's the springs

The HIFs don't have a good choice of spring weights available whereas the HS do.

From dyno testing I've not found one HIF chamber and spring combo which allowed the piston to reach the top and from the fact you're running twins I assume performance is important so keep that in mind if you try it.

'Quick Lift' ? do you mean fast drop ? The oil type ,and spring slightly, dictate the lift speed. 

#4 MK1russ

MK1russ

Learner Driver

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:54 PM

I have the reverse, HS on HIF bodies.

There's a good reason and it's the springs

The HIFs don't have a good choice of spring weights available whereas the HS do.

From dyno testing I've not found one HIF chamber and spring combo which allowed the piston to reach the top and from the fact you're running twins I assume performance is important so keep that in mind if you try it.

'Quick Lift' ? do you mean fast drop ? The oil type ,and spring slightly, dictate the lift speed. 

Yes 'fast drop' was what i meant.

I'll hang on to both sets of dashpot/piston assemblies then and see which ones perform best.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mini Spares