• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 03:01 PM

Hey guys,

Just wanted a quick answer from you...

Would you rather:

A) Buy a mini that is completely stock and has "no rust"
or
B) Buy a mini that looks the way you want to, but has a few small spots of rust (literaly only 1 2cm diameter spot under the window and a touch on the bottom sill)

I'm torn between the two. Both costing the same price, both the same colour, just one already has a stage 1 kit, deep dish hyperlites and all the flares i need, interior fairly good, seats with headrests (is a must for me), whilst the other is completely stock, no headrests, all original.

Cheers
Luis

#2 hazpalmer14

hazpalmer14

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Local Club: cumbria mini cruisers

Posted 11 June 2018 - 03:21 PM

Would give both a thorough inspection to see if the no rust statement is true. And with the other see if there isnt more rust hiding! And the parts you have listed are just bolt on parts so that wouldnt really swing me more towards that one

#3 kyle_1275

kyle_1275

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 03:22 PM

Completely stock no rust in my opinion. You never know what the extent of the one with a few rust spots might mean! A good paint job doesn’t come cheap! Plus you generally get more money from selling original parts which will cover the cost of your mods/upgrades. Seems the most logical way of doing it to me. Entirely up to you!

#4 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 03:34 PM

Agreed with the above. There's something nice about starting with a stock car where you know things haven't been messed with. Especially if the owner can't show you all the changes that were done and things were bodged behind the scenes (this happens a lot over here). 

#5 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:51 PM

I think we're getting to a point where mint standard cars are going to carry a hefty premium over a modded one, OK the silly prices on ebay might not be realistic but I'd be asking maybe £500-1000 more for my Mayfair than one that's already had arches, wheels, air box, seats swapped etc. It might not be everyone's cup of tea but a dealer or auction house could sell something like mine with all the handbooks, service history standard radio etc etc easily.

If I was going to modify a mini I'd start with a solid one that's had just cosmetic bits changed, the money saved can go towards the bits you want on it.

IMG_20180520_161031.jpg

Edited by CityEPete, 11 June 2018 - 08:57 PM.

#6 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:35 PM

A paintjob is considerably more expensive than the party you want to bolt on. Easy choice for me

#7 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:41 PM

A unmodified rust-free car is what you ideally want. Those are the real classics that are so desirable nowadays.

Small bits of rust usually turn into major re-build requirement plus a re-paint.

#8 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:50 PM

Buy the car with the best bodywork you can afford

#9 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:15 PM

Function over form.

No point having a car that looks great if you're going to have to tear it apart in a couple of years to fix the grot.

An important lesson to learn with Minis is that there is no such thing as 'just a little rust'. If you can see it, there's likely to be far more that you can't. That the owner has decided to spend their money on tarting it up rather than fixing rot should also set alarm bells ringing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users