#1 MiniMan1996

MiniMan1996

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:06 PM

Hi folks...

Right I need some advise from an absolute genius of a madman. I'm looking at shoving a Honda K24 engine with the Frankenstein mod into the back of my mini. I know I should go to Zcars for this and I actually already have done, but they are unfortunately out of my price range which is a shame as they were my go to for this.

Does anybody have any experience in putting a front subframe into the rear of a mini? I'm thinking of getting a front subframe kit for a k24 and shoving it in the back. I know there is a kit car that does this and they lock out the steering out on it. I just dont want to start hacking away at my mini if it's just something that doesn't work.

I'm absolutely obsessed with the idea of having a rear engined Mini, its just mental.

Hopefully somebody takes some interest in this and doesn't call me stupid, I know I'm stupid for doing this but you can't deny the thing would be nuts to drive haha. Don't get me wrong though I do love my A-series but I don't feel like copes well with the roads nowadays, it needs more reliability.

Many thanks in advance,

Anthony

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,934 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:14 AM

how you lock the steering off comes down to how the conversion subframe is done. most of the kits use a standard subframe and linkages and lock off kits are designed to work with those pick up points and geometry. it aint plug and play on something that is not as per original.

#3 MiniMan1996

MiniMan1996

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:24 PM

Ahh right ok, but if I were to design my own lock off kit then I could get around that issue surely? I mean it can't be that hard, can it? Haha

This is all on the drawing board still so if i find a better way to put the engine in the back then I'll do that. Might be a case of space framing it but that will be expensive id imagine and I don't have the knowledge or skill in doing such a thing

#4 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:53 PM

Ahh right ok, but if I were to design my own lock off kit then I could get around that issue surely? I mean it can't be that hard, can it? Haha

This is all on the drawing board still so if i find a better way to put the engine in the back then I'll do that. Might be a case of space framing it but that will be expensive id imagine and I don't have the knowledge or skill in doing such a thing

John Cooper did that on his twin engined mini in the 1960's, it failed and nearly killed him!

My advice would be if you have got to do this and don't have the expertise to space frame it then you need to go back to the experts who sell a developed product.

#5 MiniMan1996

MiniMan1996

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 12:49 PM

Yeah I'd personally rather buy a kit than do my own. If this becomes something that is going to either cost me a fortune or will kill me, then I'll admit defeat and go FWD until I can afford so go RWD. I did come across Watson's Rally last night, I always thought they just did FWD conversions but I came across a RWD k20/k24 kit for £2200+vat. Anybody had any experience with Watson rally, are they any good? Because for roughly the same kit from Zcars it's around £7000. Obviously id rather Zcars but I did a quote with them and it came to £15k which gave me a heart attack.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users