Photo
- - - - -

Heater Removal Question

Best Answer unburntfuelinthemorning , 13 June 2018 - 09:43 AM

There are a lot of threads on the forum covering this subject.

No problem doing what you are proposing however the main point of contention when removing the heater seems to be where you connect the other end to after the manifold where it flows back into the engine (normally the bottom hose).

One school of thought is that you should plumb it into the top hose instead as otherwise you'll have uncooled coolant re-entering the engine.  The other is that it doesn't matter as it isn't cooled anyway when the heater fan is switched off and the flap is set to the "Off" position.

There doesn't seem to be an accepted position to take so find out as much as you can and make your decision based upon these facts.

My view is that you don't want uncooled coolant going into the engine but also if you plumb the old heater return into the top hose then the coolant passing through the old heater circuit bypasses the thermostat and will cause the engine to take longer to warm up although in the summer months this may not make too much difference so it is probably your best option.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 maccers

maccers

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:59 AM

You could always remove the tap? As in just have a permanent water flow. I have retained my heater, but have coolant constantly flowing around the system as removed a troublesome "floating" heater valve. Wont you still need some form of demister? Are you removing the whole blower unit from the car ?

#17 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 11:15 AM

In my experience it's better to keep the heater! Purely to be used as an additional cooling radiator

Yes but you're the guy that always removes the thermostat, lol.

I'd just get a new heater core, took me twenty minutes to swap mine.
I know I am but the engines don't actually run hot without a stat, by removing the stat is eases the pressure on the system and keeps the coolant in
The system is designed to operate at pressure that's why it has a rad cap with a specific value, how would removing the stat reduce pressure anyway, lol.
all it does is increase the time needed to get the engine up to temp and make the water flow round the engine worse.
It's almost as if the engineers that designed it knew, lol.
That is somewhat incorrect, when a thermostat jams closed, the pressure has is released elsewhere. it did on my mates car anyway as it blew the dipstick out the motor, and emptied the radiator when we took the cap off.

Removed the thermostat to get the car home, has run fine ever since but yes it does take slightly longer to get to temperature

So the COOLANT pressure pressurised the CRANKCASE and made the dipstick fly out.
Im at loss here.

#18 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 14 June 2018 - 11:45 AM

I think there is a cockwomble somewhere in this thread.

#19 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 12:30 PM

In my experience it's better to keep the heater! Purely to be used as an additional cooling radiator

Yes but you're the guy that always removes the thermostat, lol.

I'd just get a new heater core, took me twenty minutes to swap mine.
I know I am but the engines don't actually run hot without a stat, by removing the stat is eases the pressure on the system and keeps the coolant in
The system is designed to operate at pressure that's why it has a rad cap with a specific value, how would removing the stat reduce pressure anyway, lol.
all it does is increase the time needed to get the engine up to temp and make the water flow round the engine worse.
It's almost as if the engineers that designed it knew, lol.
That is somewhat incorrect, when a thermostat jams closed, the pressure has is released elsewhere. it did on my mates car anyway as it blew the dipstick out the motor, and emptied the radiator when we took the cap off.

Removed the thermostat to get the car home, has run fine ever since but yes it does take slightly longer to get to temperature
So the COOLANT pressure pressurised the CRANKCASE and made the dipstick fly out.
Im at loss here.

Yes but it's been fine since removing the stat, I'm going to take mine out now he's convinced me. Lol?

#20 Sask_Mini

Sask_Mini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 03:29 AM

Thanks for all the info guys, looks like I have a few things to think about.  The heater that is currently in the car is in pretty rough shape.  Missing the controls, the fan doesn't work, and I have no idea if the heater core works either.  So that's the reason why I am just going to take it out for now.  I also have some bigger feet and removing the heater will give me some more room down by the accelerator pedal.  

The weather is pretty predictable for the most part here on the Canadian prairies and I can pretty easily pick and choose which days I want to drive the car, so I can avoid most situations that would require a heater. 

I really appreciate all the comments, thanks again.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users