4 replies to this topic

#1 malc_west

malc_west

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:26 PM

Took the wheels off my new (1988) mini today to look at brakes and think of potential upgrades. The car has no servo so although a heavy foot is needed it stops well. The disks are non vented single skin. When measured they seem to come up at bang on 8 inches which I didn't think was a size option, iam I dealing with non standard brakes? It's had an engine swap for a metro lump so it's possible

#2 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:55 PM

Best thing to do is post a picture.

Standard on that year would be 8.4" solid discs with the 2-pot calipers. If you're only using the car on the road they will provide all the brake performance you'll need. You can play with the pads, but don't bother with anything too racy as you'll never get them into their working temperature range.

If you struggle with unassisted brakes, you could look to fit the servo which came in at around that time (I can't remember what year exactly). You'll need to change the brake pedal and the pipe work but it's not an overly difficult job if you know what you're doing.

#3 malc_west

malc_west

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 08:03 AM

Cheers mate

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,845 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 15 June 2018 - 08:41 AM

An option to the type of Servo that Icey has suggest is a Hydraulic type similar to what was fitted to the Cooper S and early 1275GT's.

There plump in to the Brake Hydraulic Lines, they are only 'Single Circuit', however, it's quite acceptable to plumb them in only for the Front Brakes.

This might be a simpler Install.

#5 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 15 June 2018 - 09:11 AM

The Innocenti 1300 had a dual-line system with a remote servo acting only on the fronts. I guess it had a different proportioning valve set-up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users