11 replies to this topic

#1 luismx123

luismx123

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 02:29 PM

Hey guys. Just about to get myself a 1980 mini 998. Apparently completely original... The seats don't have headrests and id rather not run them for too long so heres my question:

I'm 193cm tall and weigh 100kg. My girlfriend is 167cm and 50kg. What seat would you recommend we get so that both of us can drive? I'm planning on getting a drop bracket and seat extensions anyways, and I think bucket seats are illegal in Austria... (Unless youre Registered as a race car -.-)

Any suggestions?
Cheers

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 16 June 2018 - 02:37 PM

Hey guys. Just about to get myself a 1980 mini 998. Apparently completely original... The seats don't have headrests and id rather not run them for too long so heres my question:

I'm 193cm tall and weigh 100kg. My girlfriend is 167cm and 50kg. What seat would you recommend we get so that both of us can drive? I'm planning on getting a drop bracket and seat extensions anyways, and I think bucket seats are illegal in Austria... (Unless youre Registered as a race car -.-)

Any suggestions?
Cheers

I'm about the same as 'build' as yourself, I don't use seat extensions or steering wheel drop brackets as my knees hit the cowling trying to get in the car

Edited by cal844, 16 June 2018 - 02:38 PM.

#3 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 02:41 PM

get some second hand mpi seat for the head rest and folding so you can get in the back seats and a set of seat extenders ..

foot or meters please we don't do cm in the uk :)

http://www.minispare...belts.aspx|Back to shop

BG5001MS
SEAT ADJUSTER BRACKETS PAIR

Edited by ukcooper, 16 June 2018 - 02:46 PM.

#4 luismx123

luismx123

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 02:45 PM

get some second hand mpi seat for the head rest and folding so you can get in the back seats and a set of seat extenders .. http://www.minispare...erior.aspx|Back to shop.

foot or meters please we don't do cm in the uk :)

Hahaha sorry I'm deep central European :D everything else is taboo :P

The link does work tho... Maybe it's my cellphone :/

#5 luismx123

luismx123

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 02:47 PM

Any suggestions?
Cheers

I'm about the same as 'build' as yourself, I don't use seat extensions or steering wheel drop brackets as my knees hit the cowling trying to get in the car

I had the same issue with a friend's car. Drop bracket and all was nice for sitting, but getting into it was a bit of a struggle... I'll see how the setup is (steering wheel, seats,etc) before I purchase any mountings

#6 ukcooper

ukcooper

• Members
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 02:49 PM

http://www.minispare...c/BG5001MS.aspx

http://www.minispare...c/BG5001MS.aspx

#7 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 16 June 2018 - 03:10 PM

I know it's heresy to suggest, but the new MINI seats have a simple height adjuster built in, if you can build an adaptor to safely install it in the car it will do exactly what you need, and it's a much more comfortable seat too

#8 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 05:34 PM

..foot or meters please we don't do cm in the uk :)

If you can do meters (or metres) I’m sure you can do cm! :-)

Edited by GraemeC, 16 June 2018 - 05:35 PM.

#9 Aaron3

Aaron3

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Local Club: Sunmc

Posted 16 June 2018 - 10:15 PM

You’ll be fine, my grandad was 20 odd stone and drove a mini back in the 70s, his rubber suspension never lasted long though ?

#10 surfblue

surfblue

• Members
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 09:59 AM

Im 6'1" and 18 stone and drive my Mk1 with it's standard seats quite comfortably, (I did 120 miles in it yesterday to a car show and back).

The only modification I do is seat brackets to give me a couple of inches more leg room, Ive had to do this in every Mini Ive ever owned otherwise my ankles get very sore being more "bent" than is comfortable for me

#11 luismx123

luismx123

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 03:51 PM

Nah Guys I think i didn't express my issue well enough. It's not that the original seats aren't comfortable, it's just that I value my life more than driving around with them. I need seats with headrests. Maybe there's a mod I can do?

#12 Compdoc

Compdoc

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 17 June 2018 - 08:54 PM

BL added headrests to your model in 1982 (I think) so a set of seats from a 1982 - 1992 car would be a lot cheaper and easier to get than a decent set of MPI ones. 

Have a look at https://newtoncomm.c...ollections/mini

for an idea of the style.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users