8 replies to this topic

#1 Zoojp

Zoojp

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 06:27 AM

Hello from Japan! I'm looking at this Mini to buy here and then take back to the States when I leave here. The only issue is, I can't tell what model it is or if it's stock since the Japanse versions are different than the standard versions.

I've been doing a lot of research and see it has the 1275 with what looks to be twin SU carbs. Anyone know if this is stock? Which model it could be?

Thanks!

http://www.goo-net-e...5002/index.html

#2 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 07:42 AM

It's an SPI era body shell given away by the bracket for the alarm switch in the top right corner of the boot opening.

Personally although some people over here love the Japanese Minis I wouldn't want all the extra bits under the bonnet, I've never seen so many pipes, wires, clips, relays and strange bits!

#3 spiguy

spiguy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 07:45 AM

That looks to me to be an injection model which has been fitted with an earlier engine, or perhaps just converted over from injection to carbs. Note the black relay box at the rear of the bay which was fitted to SPi onwards (1992 on) models in the UK. I don't see anything on the listing that gives year of manufacture. Just be careful about this  - don't USA have rules about how 'new' such a car can be for importing? 

#4 Zoojp

Zoojp

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 08:16 AM

Interesting...thanks for the replies! It is a 1992. I can take back and register anything over 25 years old. Some states have more rules than others, but where I'm going all I have to do is pay to register it. No inspections or emissions testing.

So if it has twin carbs, maybe the engine isn't stock? I am going to keep this one in mind as I look at some others.

#5 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 17 June 2018 - 08:30 AM

In particular, - generally speaking - the Minis from Japan tend to be better than those from the UK, they don't usually have rust and are often well serviced. They usually (as this one does) have Air Conditioning, which depending on the climate where you live, maybe something that's welcome.

If I recall, the Twin Carbs are possibly a factory endorsed modification offered through Cooper Garages.

Hard to say what was originally fitted as Injection was phased in from 91 to 94 in the UK cars, but being a Japanese Spec Car, while it may have some Injection fittings, it may not have been fitted with it.

#6 Zoojp

Zoojp

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 09:07 AM

Yes, after living here for two years I can say without a doubt, the Japanese take very good care of their vehicles.

I cannot figure out why the AC condenser is to the side. All of the others have the condenser facing front.

This is going to be my commuter car in six months. I'll have time to go over it and replace what needs to be replaced.

#7 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,803 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 17 June 2018 - 09:19 AM

Some useful points about Japanese Minis to North America here:-

https://www.minimani...ver_Mini_Cooper

#8 Aria Aradhea

Aria Aradhea

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Local Club: Jakarta Morris Club

Posted 20 June 2018 - 02:36 PM

Yes, after living here for two years I can say without a doubt, the Japanese take very good care of their vehicles.

I cannot figure out why the AC condenser is to the side. All of the others have the condenser facing front.

This is going to be my commuter car in six months. I'll have time to go over it and replace what needs to be replaced.

That is interesting... Usually the side-mounted AC condenser is a clear sign of an Injected Mini, Most carb Minis has the front-mounted condenser. However, what's weird is that the condenser used in that 92 Mini are the earlier, thicker type that's usually installed in the front-mounted cars. Looking at the AC switches, it is an injection car, as only those cars are fitted with the rotary switches for the AC controllers. So, probably somebody changed the condenser and used the earlier type, or this is the changeover period, where they are using leftovers while the shells has already been altered.

#9 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 03:12 PM

Hi,

I can see an inertia switch on the bulkhead along with the black combination relay would make me think it's a converted injection car. 

EDIT it's got an injection fuel tank in the back too.

The problem with a mini is you can take almost any age mini and easily fit almost any age part, there's no real way of knowing what it left the factory with unless you have some paperwork or a chassis number to go on...

Cheers  :proud:

Edited by Bat, 20 June 2018 - 03:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users