#16 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,642 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 21 June 2018 - 11:17 AM

It's a  no brainer. Buy cheap, buy twice, even with mapping. Your paying for expertise and time,  can highly recommend EFI Parts for an SC setup. People round the country travel there :thumbsup:

I was told the auto tune with the wideband isnt great with the sc setup,  amazing what difference it can make when someone who knows what their doing properly dials in your engine. 

#17 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,642 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 21 June 2018 - 11:19 AM

Wait, just read, 6k limit? My 5 porter SW5 cam'd 1312 has the limiter set at 6.6k, peak power 6.2?

#18 stevegrabba

stevegrabba

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 11:41 AM

It's a  no brainer. Buy cheap, buy twice, even with mapping. Your paying for expertise and time,  can highly recommend EFI Parts for an SC setup. People round the country travel there :thumbsup:

I was told the auto tune with the wideband isnt great with the sc setup,  amazing what difference it can make when someone who knows what their doing properly dials in your engine. 

That's an interesting comment regarding the wide band lambda....mine has one fitted.  Are the readings given by the sensor too unstable/inaccurate?

EFI....just googled them and see they are based in Cheshire.  So 2 to 3 hours from me....not too bad really!  Cheers 

#19 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,893 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 21 June 2018 - 11:47 AM

Depends on the lambda controller, my mate has the AEM unit and he's commented it's the best it's ever run. He set the target AFRs and it's been great. Shifts too! I'll be having mine mapped and the wideband for micro adjustments/safety.

#20 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,893 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 21 June 2018 - 11:48 AM

It's a no brainer. Buy cheap, buy twice, even with mapping. Your paying for expertise and time, can highly recommend EFI Parts for an SC setup. People round the country travel there :thumbsup:

I was told the auto tune with the wideband isnt great with the sc setup, amazing what difference it can make when someone who knows what their doing properly dials in your engine.

That's an interesting comment regarding the wide band lambda....mine has one fitted. Are the readings given by the sensor too unstable/inaccurate?

EFI....just googled them and see they are based in Cheshire. So 2 to 3 hours from me....not too bad really! Cheers

I'd ring them now if you're interest. The last message they had on their Facebook page was there's a 6 week waiting list.

#21 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,804 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 12:07 PM

http://www.john-sleath.com/

based in doncaster,

#22 stevegrabba

stevegrabba

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 12:25 PM

Cheers.....I've googled John Sleath and will contact him to check approx price and availability etc.

http://www.john-sleath.com/

based in doncaster,

#23 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 07:58 AM

Hi,

What's the spec on that RE13 cam, Google has little info and it seems there should be letters after it?

Your "comes on cam" statement is a little puzzling...

Makes me wonder if it's just got a safe map in the ECU

Cheers  :proud:

Edited by Bat, 22 June 2018 - 08:00 AM.

#24 hazpalmer14

hazpalmer14

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Local Club: cumbria mini cruisers

Posted 22 June 2018 - 08:19 AM

Hi,

What's the spec on that RE13 cam, Google has little info and it seems there should be letters after it?

I think there is a turbo versio RE13T, its a graham russell cam from australia

#25 stevegrabba

stevegrabba

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 08:39 AM

According to the Calver website:-

This is the Russell Engineering developed RE13OT for optimum street performance use where sports-torque is the main aim.  

Slightly lumpy idle, pulls hard from 2,000rpm to 6.000rpm in large-bore based engines. 
Performance is in the Piper 285/Kent286 sort of area but out-performs both for torque.  

Best performance given with 1.4:1 ratio rockers and a cylinder head with efficient port work, but also gives better than can be expected performance with a mediocre cylinder head with standard rockers.  

Hi,

#26 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 09:39 AM

Hi,

In that case you should be able to map enough advance in the lower revs to boost torque and remove even the idea of coming on cam!

If I can do it with a 5 port head and a Weber 45 then there's no reason you can't have the same...

DSCF2466.JPG

That's geared at 20mph to 1000 rpm.

#27 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 09:42 AM

Double post sorry

Edited by Bat, 22 June 2018 - 09:43 AM.

#28 stevegrabba

stevegrabba

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 10:24 AM

That's my thoughts too!

If 25 years ago I could do it with simple springs and weights inside a dizzy to get the advance curve that I wanted, with some polishing of needles.  Surely it should be as simple as sticking some ignition timing figures into a table at the right rpm increments and telling it the stoichiometric fuel/air ratio that is desired at that point in time too.  Gees...if only it was that straight forward!!

Hi,

In that case you should be able to map enough advance in the lower revs to boost torque and remove even the idea of coming on cam!

If I can do it with a 5 port head and a Weber 45 then there's no reason you can't have the same...

That's geared at 20mph to 1000 rpm.

#29 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 02:35 PM

Hi,

If you've got the gear to communicate with the ECU and you know what you're doing then it's even easier and you don't get your hands dirty.

If the ECU is capable with the right sensors you can almost get it to map the fuel table by itself.

Top line is the most important, get that done on the rollers then work down from that.

Where your off cam area is on the map keep adding a little advance, drive round then add more if you're not knocking. Air temp sensor connected to the ecu is essential here.

If it will data log you can drive round look at the log after and make adjustments at home.

Edited by Bat, 22 June 2018 - 02:38 PM.

#30 stevegrabba

stevegrabba

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 04:55 PM

I thought I'd have a dabble this weekend and just iron out a few flat spots and enrich the mixture at any positions where the CO readings of fuel/air ratio is way off.....but its not that easy!

There is an rpm scale on the X axis and then a TPS (Throttle position Sensor) scale on the Y axis. 

What I'd really like are two separate graphs.  One being spark advance V RPM, ....and the other  being RPM versus Fuel air ratio!!   It would be nice and easy that way, to then be able to plot when my spark should occur and the fuel air ratio should be which it ignites.

Any Ideas guys?

Hi,

If you've got the gear to communicate with the ECU and you know what you're doing then it's even easier and you don't get your hands dirty.

If the ECU is capable with the right sensors you can almost get it to map the fuel table by itself.

Top line is the most important, get that done on the rollers then work down from that.

Where your off cam area is on the map keep adding a little advance, drive round then add more if you're not knocking. Air temp sensor connected to the ecu is essential here.

If it will data log you can drive round look at the log after and make adjustments at home.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users