Photo
- - - - -

Temperature Sender Resistance Or Where To Measure Block Temp?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 blueminivan

blueminivan

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 09:05 AM

Has anyone ever measured the straight resistance of a temperature sender unit at cold and normal running (thermostat open) please? Standard sender fitted to a 99HG30 A+ 998cc block

Or is there a good place to measure with a IR temperature gauge?

I've a Mini Van with no gauge, so over the years have learned to judge temperature by the fan heater.....

Since treating the A+ to a new unleaded distributor and being wary of the amount of advance it can give I'd like to know if I'm running a tad hot.

Thanks

Paul

#2 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 10:34 AM

Hi,

The temperature of the cylinder head is the important part. Point your ir at that, preferably at a bare metal area I would say.

Is there a reason why you haven't already fitted a gauge? That would be the first thing I would have done to the van.

Cheers  :proud:

#3 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 21 June 2018 - 04:21 PM

I'd be inclined to fit a capillary temp gauge .. reacts immediately and no external power issues to worry about!

#4 blueminivan

blueminivan

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 03:28 PM

Thank's Gents.  The head seems to be the place to point the IR, bare metal is a good point thanks.  Never felt I needed a temperature gauge whilst driving as such in thirty-three years you get to know the foibles, though I will admit now shes no longer used for a forty mile daily commute I'm a tad rusty ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users