#1 GT Jimmy

GT Jimmy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 22 June 2018 - 09:25 PM

Time is near that I'll be putting the front end on the GT. Am I right in thinking I need to fit the front subframe so the front panel can be lined up then the rest of the panels fitted round that and the bonnet? 

And would it be best to use solid mounts when lining everything up?

Thanks, Jim

#2 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 01:31 PM

I bought new rubber mounts all round and just used them. Even with heritage I had a pain fitting it to the original bonnet. The scuttle was replaced a few years ago (heritage too) but I think its int eh wrogn place. Will have to cut the bonnet to make it fit :(

​Q

#3 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 02:44 PM

I have only done a round nose, but I fitted subframe and bolted front panel to it, left loose, then fitted bonnet with correct gap to scuttle and fitted bonnet catch to front panel, then adjusted front panel so bonnet all lined up. Then trial fitted wings held with self tappers. When I was happy I removed the lot and spot welded wings to front panel off the car, then refitted and spot welded wings in place. I found it easier to fit wings to correct gap to bonnet, then any twisting and bending to reach the a panel and scuttle correctly left the gaps intact. Takes a good few hours to get correct but worth the extra time.
If my subframe was rubber mounted I would have used the stock mounts, the main location is to the crossmember.
Hope that helps.
And as a matter of interest I have found heritage panels no easier to fit than magnum ones. Although I would always use an original bonnet and scuttle.

Edited by Daz1968, 23 June 2018 - 02:45 PM.

#4 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 23 June 2018 - 02:54 PM

If you loosen all the mount bolts, there is a great deal of play in the subframe. My advice would be to make sure the subframe is square and central to the bulkhead then tighten up. It will need a bit of adjustment on the panels.

#5 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 23 June 2018 - 04:22 PM

I’m quite lucky with my Clubby as the front subbie is solid mounted from new. You can add some shims between the subbie and front panel. What age is your car, pre 76 or post 76??

#6 GT Jimmy

GT Jimmy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 23 June 2018 - 04:45 PM

Mines an 80. When I took the subframe off it had rubber mounts, and ideally would want to replace them as they weren't in the best condition. But then I saw the price haha

#7 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 23 June 2018 - 07:26 PM

Mines an 80. When I took the subframe off it had rubber mounts, and ideally would want to replace them as they weren't in the best condition. But then I saw the price haha

Ahh ok so its the later one. Make sure the rear and front mounts are in good condition. Bolt the whole thing and go from there.

My Heritage panels took some work to fit well especially the l/h wing which fought me all the way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users