9 replies to this topic

#1 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 01:52 PM

I liked it so that's y I put it up with old school stuff .

#2 WillCarter

WillCarter

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 02:58 PM

I liked it so that's y I put it up with old school stuff .

Have you seen their vtec mini build?

#3 ukcooper

ukcooper

• Members
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 05:08 PM

not as yet still got 200 videos watch for a reload ...

#4 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 05:42 PM

Those Mighty Car Mods boys are brilliant.  Check out their MCMTV2 channel too, particularly The Skid Factory for mad engine conversions.  They're currently sticking a rather large Ford turbo engine of some sort into an old Bedford van.

https://www.youtube....cPFIBKt1eJi8Jew

#5 Dannyboolahlah

Dannyboolahlah

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 12:30 PM

Have you seen their vtec mini build?

The mini was Supercharged before the vtec. Had a VMaxscart fuel injected kit on it. I still can’t decide which version I liked more.

The Bedford is gonna be epic. It’s a ‘Barra’ engine. 4.0 straight 6 with a massive turbo on it. They put one in a Toyota Cresta that does 9 second quarter miles on standard internals.

Edited by Dannyboolahlah, 25 June 2018 - 12:31 PM.

#6 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 01:24 PM

I was born in '74 so remember those Bedford vans being around a lot - of course most of the ones here rusted away long ago.

With the way they fitted that Honda engine into the Mini without changing it's external appearance it just shows what BL could and should have done years ago.

#7 Dannyboolahlah

Dannyboolahlah

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 01:30 PM

I was born in '74 so remember those Bedford vans being around a lot - of course most of the ones here rusted away long ago.

With the way they fitted that Honda engine into the Mini without changing it's external appearance it just shows what BL could and should have done years ago.

I see your point, but it’s much simpler to make one than change all the tooling and production line!
Didn’t Rover actually have access to Honda engines towards the end of the Mini’s life?

#8 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 01:48 PM

They collaborated with Honda during the eighties when they were Austin Rover - not sure exactly when this started or ended.  I had a '91 Montego with a Honda gearbox, nice gearbox.

Thing is they knew the Mini needed updating back in the late sixties and early seventies and there were projects looking at this.  There were plenty of engine projects on the go as well.  Yes it costs more to change the tooling etc. but they were a major motor vehicle manufacturer and that's what they should have done.

I'm glad they didn't though in many ways as it meant the Mini was very similar through it's production life and has the following it has now with many examples still kicking around.  I think the A-series engine is a wonderful engine too even though it is late forties/early fifties technology and has it's flaws.  There's something very enjoyable about owning and driving a vehicle which shouldn't be as good as it is.  Someone on here quoted something recently which said anyone can buy something fast and drive it fast - getting something slow (including outdated/flawed) to go fast is much more fun!  That's why the Bedford with the Barra engine will be so good - they were obnoxiously slow vans.

As for the wheels video originally posted; they've done a beautiful job on them but with the hours involved how much did they cost?!

#9 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 04:01 PM

Might be better to post this in the motor mouth section.
Wouldn't take their word as gospell either after watching their mini supercharger build.

#10 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,976 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 26 June 2018 - 04:21 AM

You can have a look at their website if you're interested in the ballpark prices.. http://www.barrel-bros.com/ 

I've been watching their videos for many years now. Like many things in life (tv, books, youtube, etc) if you know more about a subject than the author you'll spot many inaccuracies, but just try and enjoy the overall concept as entertainment value rather than instructional information. 

If you want some in depth videos, try Turbo Tom 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users