#1 Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 02:30 PM

Hello Everyone'

I live in Atlanta and own what I believe is an 2000 MPI Mini. It was registered as a 1971 so I'm not totally sure. It ran well for a few years then suddenly lost spark to 2 cylinders.Replaced coil etc... and found it was an issue inside the ECU. I had Mini Spares repair it and it's on it's way back to me but they said that they are not sure how long it will last and referred me to this forum. My Questions are

A) Where's the best place to get another ECU?

B) Will there be any other issues changing it out? I don't know if the immobilizer runs through the ECU or not.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

#2 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 05:39 PM

Hi,

There's not going to be a best place to get an ECU as they're no longer made.

That puts you in the second hand market at which point I'm gong to say why won't yours last, as another used one is a gamble too.

The ecu and the immobilizer talk to each other so some reprogramming is likely.

Cheers  :proud:

#3 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 05:46 PM

Option 1 is to buy a new ECU AND 5AS (the immobiliser box) AND fobs. They must all be matched.

Option 2 is to buy a new ECU on its own. But then you'll either need to send it with your existing 5AS to a coding company to get them matched, or you'll need access to a Sykes Pickavant ACR4 with G2 pod AND iKeys.

to be honest for the price and hassle, I'd just see how you get on with your repaired ECU.

Edited by Wiggy, 23 June 2018 - 05:47 PM.

#4 Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 05:25 PM

Thanks for the replies.Here is a copy of the email I received from Mini Spares

Hi Mike, they managed to find the ecu number inside the case, I have good and bad news, the actual board was damaged, they have managed to repair it for now but said they do not know how long it will last, as such they have only charged us half the price so the cost is £125+vat.

So you see I not terribly confident in the long term use of this ECU and I'm trying to be pro-active in a permanent fix

#5 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 05:51 PM

Hi,

I'd say try it and see. As has been previously said you'd need to get another ECU reprogrammed I don't know how difficult that will be where you are?

There's no saying another ECU will last any better than a repaired one...

Cheers  :proud:

#6 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 27 June 2018 - 10:18 PM

If it is a year 2000 MPI then as above the alarm/immobiliser (5AS) is matched to the MEMS ECU. Just changing the ECU won’t give you car that runs. The good news is that the ECU units are robust so even if your existing one fails, you should be able to pick up a used one that is okay. As mentioned above unless you can gain access to a Rover Testbook or Sykes Pickavant ACR4 with iKeys you should buy the ECU with it’s matched 5AS unit and keyfobs.
If you have access to the Rover Testbook or Sykes gear you can mix and match used parts from eBay to get you to the right place.
There maybe some North American members who have this gear....?
The other option is source a used MEMS ECU and send it to have the immobiliser check code removed by one of the ECU places in the U.K. - then it doesn’t need to match the 5AS but of course it’s not then immobilised....

If your stuck let us know

I have the gear but your a bit far....

FS

#7 tmsmini

tmsmini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • Local Club: MOASF

Posted 28 June 2018 - 02:15 PM

I am in the US, but on the other side of the country.

We still may be able to work something out.

Ebay UK has ECUs and matched Alarm modules with fobs show up from time to time.

I am at a Mini Meet in Oregon at the moment, so may not respond quickly.

Did this car belong to a doctor in Georgia at one time?

Terry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users