#1 luismx123

luismx123

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 04:54 PM

Hey guys

So apparantly, I may have stumbled across a 1992 spi mini cooper S (I honestly dont know if thats a thing, but i know cooper S's go for quite a bit) with only 52000 km. 

The issue is that it was taken apart as the motor had a complete breakdown after a gear shaving destroyed the cylinder and totaled the engine. Now, there is a replacement motor inside with the same coding and so on so thats good and all, but nothing is plugged in and the car is kinda taken apart and in bits. 

Now I have veryyyy limited knowledge on how to put a car back together, let alone engine and electrical stuff. The owner says its a weekend job for a seasoned person to get it up and going, I however, believe hes just saying that to get rid of it...

Any advice from you all? How long would it take a screw and mini back together?

-engine works but not pluged and set
-interior and exterior is basically there, and to 90% ish finished

cheers
Luis

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 24 June 2018 - 05:00 PM

If the interior is in and it's just front and rear subframes and engine then I'd set aside 3 days, purely as it's your first rebuild and also incase you have issues.

I'd also say to fit new cones, hilo's,and knuckle joints all round, re-pin the top arms and radius arms.

#3 luismx123

luismx123

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 05:04 PM

If the interior is in and it's just front and rear subframes and engine then I'd set aside 3 days, purely as it's your first rebuild and also incase you have issues.

I'd also say to fit new cones, hilo's,and knuckle joints all round, re-pin the top arms and radius arms.

Is the haynes service and repair manual sufficient for something like this?

Is there anything I can screw up so bad, that id ruin the car?

#4 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 24 June 2018 - 05:18 PM

Yes it will be, I use two... A 69-88 model year and a 69-2000 one(both Workshop manuals)

I'd advise you buy both as the 69-88 is actually more detailed for the engine and gearbox side of things

but doesn't cover the SPI fuel system and later fuse box locations... Simple changes BUT without both books youll have issues

Edited by cal844, 24 June 2018 - 05:19 PM.

#5 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 05:31 PM

Hi,

The thing you could screw things up badly with is not checking oil level and oil pressure on the engine before you start it up!

Other than that make sure you keep yourself safe, anything else can be repaired.

Cheers  :proud:

#6 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 06:25 PM

https://www.amazon.c...sl_8mt2f4ekk9_b

#7 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 06:26 PM

https://haynes.com/e...ampaign=Haynes (UK)%20Brand%20Related%20Terms&utm_term=Haynes&utm_content=Brand%20Terms%20-%20Phrase%20Match

#8 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,900 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 24 June 2018 - 07:56 PM

I'll just express some caution as the car while may have all / most of it there, it's not driveable nor even runable so there's many unknowns. All maybe well or some may not be.

Just be sure to negotiate a price that reflects this aspect is all I can suggest, unless some sort of guarantees or warranties from who ever did do the work will carry over to you.

#9 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 24 June 2018 - 08:21 PM

the Service Repair manual is not really that good. the Workshop manuals are the better ones.

and there are many things you can screw up.

#10 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 24 June 2018 - 10:57 PM

I would be very careful buying a car in bits, especially as you are not confident in rebuilding. It always takes twice as long as you think.

There maybe parts missing and or damaged.

It begs the question if its such a simple job putting it back together why is it in bits....?

Buy with caution, you really need someone with the knowledge to have a look

Any proof of a rebuild...photos, receipts, ask who did it...

A monkey can take a Mini in bits but they can't rebuild one, just sell them

#11 need4speed

need4speed

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 08:52 PM

Hey guys

So apparantly, I may have stumbled across a 1992 spi mini cooper S (I honestly dont know if thats a thing, but i know cooper S's go for quite a bit) with only 52000 km. 

The issue is that it was taken apart as the motor had a complete breakdown after a gear shaving destroyed the cylinder and totaled the engine. Now, there is a replacement motor inside with the same coding and so on so thats good and all, but nothing is plugged in and the car is kinda taken apart and in bits. 

Now I have veryyyy limited knowledge on how to put a car back together, let alone engine and electrical stuff. The owner says its a weekend job for a seasoned person to get it up and going, I however, believe hes just saying that to get rid of it...

Any advice from you all? How long would it take a screw and mini back together?

-engine works but not pluged and set
-interior and exterior is basically there, and to 90% ish finished

cheers
Luis

Well, I was presented with a 1992 mini that "needed a new wiper motor and the indicators didn't work" in 2015... it's still here in my workshop!

#12 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 01:10 AM

Dont do it. A car that you didnt dissasemble yourself is almost impossible to rebuild. It d take months tot figure it all out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users