Photo
- - - - -

Genuine Timken Bearings?

Best Answer Spider , 29 June 2018 - 08:16 PM

The bearings in the Photo are Timkens. Timken only supply the Bearings, however, which bought as a kit, they come with a seal and a split pin, which Timken don't supply, hence why it's not in a Timken box, though, I have noticed some Timken Kits, complete with Seals and Pins, popping up for the fronts. 

I've been supplied a few kits like the one you have in recent years and they are fine.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 zero_wlv

zero_wlv

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 12:55 PM

I'd like some advice on how to identify genuine Timken rear wheel bearings.

I've bought a set for one rear wheel (for £45,  which seems about the right price,  for GHK1548 tapered),  but it's at the back of my mind that if Minispares haven't been able to get hold of Timken rears for a couple of years,   where would a smaller supplier have got them from?

The packaging says "Automotive Bearings Ltd.   The Classic   ABK002",  which is identical to a couple of items listed on Ebay for <£15.

I can't see any obvious quality issues with the bearings themselves,  but I wouldn't be qualified to know as I hardly ever have any reason to handle bearings.

I do notice on this thread by Mikespider about front bearings,   that his come cable-tied together  (to avoid mixing up the wrong rollers/races) and are hand-engraved with matching numbers.

Should I be worried that my rear bearings haven't come like this?

One other alternative was to buy an SNR kit from Eurocarparts - for £101!!   A bit too much for me to stomach!

Attached Files

#2 zero_wlv

zero_wlv

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 01:03 PM

As an aside,   I've googled "Timken NP419272" which is what is etched on my part above,    and this can be supplied by a reputable industrial parts supplier for £52.     It does NOT specify that it's suitable for a Mini though,  in fact it doesn't mention any automotive application.

It just has the following dimensions:

Timken NP880810/NP419272 Taper Roller Bearing 22.225x50.810x20.168mm

Inside Diameter: 22.23mm = 0.875 inch
Outside Diameter: 50.81mm = 2.0004 inch
Width: 14.10mm = 0.5551 inch

Would anyone know whether these are the correct dimensions?

#3 Racer_Pete

Racer_Pete

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 03:31 PM

Im a bit confused so are you saying the TIMKEN bearing and race where both in the Automotive box? Just because it doesn't say "Mini" on the box and says rover group dosent mean its the wrong one, many bearings are exactly the same but used in different vechiles. A smaller supplier like you say would have had them sitting for years on the shelf, im not big into minis anymore so dont know if TIMKEN have stopped making these bearings? If they have your lucky you have that one, as some of the bearings that are made today are so bad you might as well keep the original one in!

#4 cian

cian

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Local Club: Minis In Northern Ireland

Posted 29 June 2018 - 03:53 PM

I stock genuine timken rear bearings ( £30 ) and they do not come bound together however the front ones do

Edited by cian, 29 June 2018 - 03:53 PM.

#5 zero_wlv

zero_wlv

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 03:55 PM

There's a slip of paper in the box that says "Mini, Metro, Rover 114", so I'm not concerned about that. I was just wondering why they don't come in Timken packaging and why they don't have some of the features Mokespider mentioned in his post.

I'm also wondering how it's possible to know the difference between genuine and fake, other than getting them from a very reputable supplier.

The small supplier I got these from probably is reputable but as I'd never heard of them before I wouldn't know one way or the other.

I do notice that none of the well-known suppliers have stocked Timken rears for a while otherwise I would have ordered from someone I knew.

The Timken website recommends precision weighing, but I wouldn't know what the genuine weight is supposed to be.

#6 zero_wlv

zero_wlv

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 03:56 PM

Thanks Cian, that's reassuring, that's what had started ringing alarm bells. Do the rears have hand engraved identification numbers on?

#7 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,934 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 29 June 2018 - 08:16 PM   Best Answer

The bearings in the Photo are Timkens. Timken only supply the Bearings, however, which bought as a kit, they come with a seal and a split pin, which Timken don't supply, hence why it's not in a Timken box, though, I have noticed some Timken Kits, complete with Seals and Pins, popping up for the fronts. 

I've been supplied a few kits like the one you have in recent years and they are fine.

#8 minimat

minimat

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Local Club: anglian mini club

Posted 29 June 2018 - 08:28 PM

Ive used bearing from my motor factors supplied in that exact same box a few years ago without any problems, used to be around half that price though!

#9 cian

cian

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 03:02 AM

The rears do not come with any engraved markings unlike the fronts do but they do have the stamped/printed timken branding and made in Canada or made in the U.K. ( generally nos if stamped made in uk ) some also say made in USA

#10 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 05:08 AM

Does this particular bearing come with the spacer built in - I notice the various bearing suppliers have different width measurements.

#11 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,934 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 30 June 2018 - 05:42 AM

Does this particular bearing come with the spacer built in - I notice the various bearing suppliers have different width measurements.

In Genuine Timken, Rorf, you may well recall years ago, they did have a separate spacer in the kit, similar to the front assys, however, I think it was sometime later in the 80's, they 'built in' 1/2 a spacer on to the Cone Race of each Bearing.

I can't say what other manufacturer's do.

As Cian has mentioned, these are not a match assembly like the front, the loading on them are much less for one thing and these actually have a small amount of end float (or so Timken say).

If I recall, there's a Hyundi or Kia that uses the same sized bearing, in the Rears as an assembly, however they don't use Timkens!

#12 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 06:15 AM

Interesting - thanks Moke. I have always noticed my old rear bearings with a cr*ppy spacer have had slight play.

#13 cian

cian

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 01:24 PM

You do find the odd nos timken rear bearing with the separate spacer

Rorf your issue may be the hub

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users