Photo

Storing A Car For Decades Won't Always Earn You A Fortune...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 29 June 2018 - 06:03 PM

"The Jaguar XJS V12 HE (see link below) has had 2 owners since 1990 and covered 840 miles - an average of 30 miles a year. It has been preserved in storage in hope that values would spiral as a classic in the future. It will be offered to the highest bidder at a Silverstone auction next month with an estimate of £35K to £40K. That's more than the first owner paid 28 years ago - but not if you adjust for inflation. In 1990, an XJS V12 HE cost £34,200 - in today's prices that works out at just over £81,000. If the money had been invested in the stock market, it could now be worth £332,000.
A 1987 Ford Sierra RS500 Cosworth with 10,840 miles on the clock is predicted to sell at the same auction for a more impressive £105,000. Some 21 years ago, the fast Ford would have cost £19,950 new. That works out an inflation-adjusted £55,685, so the Sierra Cosworth at least is almost twice as valuable today as it was when first sold. Proof that picking the right car to bubble wrap for years can be a brilliant investment."
http://www.thisismon...h-half-new.html

#2 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 06:27 PM

A friend of mine had a 1967 Vauxhall Viva in the 70's when it failed its MOT he stuck it in a rented garage and it was finally dragged out in around 2010 when the garages were due to be demolished.

After 30 years in storage paying rent every week the best offer he could get was from someone who wanted the back axle, they gave him £200, cut it out and scrapped the rest.  I dread to think how much it cost him over the years!

I'm currently storing a 1965 mini estate for restoration since around 2008, I paid £600 for it so hopefully it will have gone up in value and I'm not paying for the garage.

I also have a 1974 Spitfire bought in 2014 in bits for £200, not sure about that one!

#3 Angusdog

Angusdog

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 09:13 AM

A 1987 Ford Sierra RS500 Cosworth with 10,840 miles on the clock is predicted to sell at the same auction for a more impressive £105,000. Some 21 years ago, the fast Ford would have cost £19,950 new. That works out an inflation-adjusted £55,685, so the Sierra Cosworth at least is almost twice as valuable today as it was when first sold. Proof that picking the right car to bubble wrap for years can be a brilliant investment."

So investing in the Ford Sierra means you'd double your money in 21 years? Where do I (not) sign up...

#4 Minigman

Minigman

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 09:51 AM

In 1993 I paid a man £50 to take my Cooper Mk3S away as it needed new sills and a-panels which I couldn’t afford to do at the time,and my mum didn’t want it sat on the drive any longer.

Oh Bugger!

#5 Boycie

Boycie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 11:29 AM

Oooofff bad luck minigman! I have a 2-dr 1971 Range Rover stored in a garage I pay rent on. May work out OK one day... but it's not all about money :)

#6 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:41 AM

There's always a good number of late model Coopers and stuff that've been stored since new and are on the market.

Taking into account interest over the years you'd still need to clear about 20 grand to see a profit.

Thats not really taking into account storage fee's, money spent on maintenance and re-commissioning or any finance costs on the original purchase.

#7 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 17 July 2018 - 10:56 PM

There is a lad at work who keeps saying his car will be worth something hence why he doesn't drive it to work too often as he doesn't want it to clock up too many miles.

It's a 59 plate gen 8 civic type r. Dream on mate, dream on.

#8 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 08:41 AM

So investing in the Ford Sierra means you'd double your money in 21 years? Where do I (not) sign up...

Hi,

You've obviously never driven a cosworth!

The one sitting in my garage cost me 8000 and was valued last year at 22000 by the RSOC, but it's just numbers.

It's 1987 and still has the original floor in it with no welding, it's certainly not a mini!  :lol:

I enjoy driving it so much that I'd never sell it!

Cheers  :proud:

#9 Simples

Simples

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 09:12 PM

In my opinion you’re much better off using them instead of letting them sit for monetary gain

#10 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 11:05 PM

In my opinion you’re much better off using them instead of letting them sit for monetary gain

Both is the way forward! Enjoy the car, everything doesn't seize up and it's value goes up too  :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users