#1 Cytruss

Cytruss

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 08:56 PM

Hi!

Although this has been a project for some time for me I have decided to start to perhaps record for mainly myself (see how things are coming along) and of course for all of you to see what i'm up to. The engine is almost rebuilt already but has just been standing in the garage for some  time now. The body has been my main itch for some time and I have now decided to make this project move forward.

So this picture is from today, the car was sent away for welding and general rust fixing. And later on a fresh coat of paint (British Racing Green - HAF (BLVC617) with the white roof.

20180702_105740_HDR_zpsvvfe9v4x.jpg

And after it was sent away I started to work on refurbishing the heater-unit. It was rather rusty at the top of the unit, and the inside was a total mess. Wont fill anything on the top with putty so even the surface out though because it wont be visible after all. Got it all primed anyway.

20180702_194558_HDR_zpst8ezcayh.jpg

Next up will probably be the carbs. Started to work on them awhile back, this is a photo after I had ran them through my ultrasound-washer at work. Have a rebuild kit for them lying around in one of all the boxes.

20160421_194529_zpszehacoej.jpg

So as you probably can see the car is a Mini 1000 but there wont be the original engine that goes in to the car later on  :proud:

Edited by Cytruss, 02 July 2018 - 09:01 PM.

#2 Cytruss

Cytruss

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 07:28 PM

So made a quick visit to the garage today to finish paint on the heater-unit. Then assembled that as far as I could, still need to buy a new heater matrix then everything should be in order on that front. Other than that I also got the fuel-tank belt primed and painted, while I was doing work on that rather pointless thing I thought to myself. Is it worth spending the amount of £ (in my case SEK) on such a simple part, it must be easier/cheaper? to buy it new rather than refurbishing.

20180703_140917_HDR_zpsxbymbjhg.jpg

Bonus photo with nice backdrop of another fancy car =]
20180703_140931_HDR_zpsokpalrx3.jpg

And the tank-belt.
20180703_182353_HDR_zpsyc0mhfqz.jpg

When I still was at the garage I thought that I might have a look at the wiper motor and see if I can't get that to look a little bit better than it does today so I started to disassemble it. Quickly changed my mind about restoring that one, seemed like more work than what it would be worth. Had a quick look inside when I was stripping the car down and then it didn't look that awful, but when I took a closer look it wasn't so nice after all.  >_<

20180703_182315_HDR_zpsji7yh443.jpg

20180703_190252_HDR_zpsiykwxuy9.jpg

The contact point on the left there on the photo were all trash and needed to be replaced, not that much work. The coil itself measured good resistance so it might due as a replacement part or something, The wiper motor gear is also fine and can be used as spare part. The magnets in the cup though were all cracked and broken so that's why I thought that it would be easier to just order a new wiper motor. Will be placing this as "Trash/Spare"

20180703_190235_HDR_zpsvsz0aawx.jpg

#3 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 07:41 PM

I must say I get great satisfaction in restoring rather than replacing items, but that one does look a little too far gone. In the case of my wiper motor it was good mechanically so I cleaned and scotchbrited the alloy parts, de-rusted any steel parts and had the zinc re-plated so that it looked brand new for very little money.

#4 Cytruss

Cytruss

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 08:12 PM

I must say I get great satisfaction in restoring rather than replacing items, but that one does look a little too far gone. In the case of my wiper motor it was good mechanically so I cleaned and scotchbrited the alloy parts, de-rusted any steel parts and had the zinc re-plated so that it looked brand new for very little money.

Yeah it felt like it would be less frustration regarding restoration of that wiper motor. Started to disassemble the carbs instead, will probably be the next thing that I get sorted out when i'm at the garage next time.  

#5 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 03:45 PM

What style are you going for? Retro or something more modern?

#6 Cytruss

Cytruss

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 04:27 PM

I'm going for something in between, want it low and fat. Have not planned to install any arches though. Going for a race/sport look, clean. Have bought black vinyl interior.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users