33 replies to this topic

#16 Thelowrider

Thelowrider

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 05:27 PM

I usually start at one end and work forward from there.

That’s a good idea and was my original thought but then decided it best to do the floor first working from the bottom up but I think I will be working from the front of the mini backwards as that’s where the majority of the rust is

I worked from the boot forwards. Got my eye in on the bits that don't get seen very much

I think that’s he best way working your way from one end to the other, I’m going to work front to back on this occassion as that’s where my spit is attached to, as the toebard is a tad shady so want to get that structurally sound before making progress on the main floor.

Nice project, will follow this. Love the title. The shell seems rusty in all the usual places but in my years of looking at restoration threads, it's the first time I see rust under the rear side window!

Progress will be slow and steady but got to do this in stages and fit it in and around family life etc.

Yeah the title still makes me laugh everytime I read it when my partner said it as soon as I turned up at home with it

Yeah it’s definately an unusual place for it to go, I know that the chap I got it off said the previous owner had it stored outside against a wall or bush or something so I guess it just built up over time?

My main concern with the shell is the upper part of the bulkhead are rotten just trying to make a decision on what to do with that.

My only advice is don't stress with deadlines and such. The whole point is to have fun, right? I got two kids , the Mini is far from finished. When I bought the car to restore it ten years ago I didn't even have a girlfriend... let's say car projects are not priorities in life

You literally have just hit the nail on the head! I also have 2 kids 2 and 4 and I’m hoping one day (My eldest has already said she wants to help with mummy’s car) that when it’s ready for assembly the kids can help to make it even more special for the missus.

I’m liking this forum already having been on a few other car forums this already seems to have an excellent atmosphere from like minded individuals!

#17 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 13 July 2018 - 05:39 AM

This looks a top project and very easy can be saved, I look forward to seeing some fresh metal going in..

Hopefully I’ll get some time on it this weekend, I’ll try and get some more pictures of all the areas that need sorting and go from there then next step is to try and decide where I’m going to make a start.

Floor or both a posts?

If anyone is reading this and has advice please fire away!

I am starting with the A post on ours as I feel having a solid frame for the floors is the way to go but I am sure both ways work as seen on here..

#18 Thelowrider

Thelowrider

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:11 AM

This looks a top project and very easy can be saved, I look forward to seeing some fresh metal going in..

Hopefully I’ll get some time on it this weekend, I’ll try and get some more pictures of all the areas that need sorting and go from there then next step is to try and decide where I’m going to make a start.

Floor or both a posts?

If anyone is reading this and has advice please fire away!
I am starting with the A post on ours as I feel having a solid frame for the floors is the way to go but I am sure both ways work as seen on here..

Yes that sounds like the best way to do it and I think your right.

I’m going to tackle the toeboard this weekend as that’s where my spit is braced to and want to make sure the strength is back there then it’s both flitch panels check strap repair panels and inner a post repair panels to sort that issue out.

#19 Thelowrider

Thelowrider

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 08:34 PM

So i didn't get much time at the weekend to make a start on the toeboard but I have made a start on cutting the front end off as I will be running a fibreglass front end on it.

I managed to get an Arc angel 2 piece fibreglass front end off Ebay, which i ended up trading the bonnet that came with the car and cash for.

43453456331_4dfdca8a91_k.jpgUntitled by james garner, on Flickr

43405524582_ef1fc81351_k.jpgUntitled by james garner, on Flickr

Just some progress pictures of the front end and the hidden rust!

43407201071_28b6ce5b59_k.jpgUntitled by james garner, on Flickr

41599491050_b5dfbcf626_k.jpgUntitled by james garner, on Flickr

29536947778_045eedc8dd_k.jpgUntitled by james garner, on Flickr

28537729577_b593a1f900_k.jpgUntitled by james garner, on Flickr

28537729167_bb54a7b3bd_k.jpgUntitled by james garner, on Flickr

28537725197_03d6747dc9_k.jpgUntitled by james garner, on Flickr

29536945648_831c30d652_k.jpgUntitled by james garner, on Flickr

42690840224_6327c63dbb_k.jpgUntitled by james garner, on Flickr

42503206085_e14b2ed2a7_k.jpgUntitled by james garner, on Flickr

Also spent abit more time removing the last pieces of interior. Column, column bracket, lower dash rail, pedal box and accelerator pedal.

28537724037_41b56d4548_k.jpgUntitled by james garner, on Flickr

#20 Thelowrider

Thelowrider

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 09:58 PM

Right so my second order of panels has arrived

Can anyone guess whats in the box?  :lol:

42550115255_2937bba42e_k.jpgUntitled by james garner, on Flickr

A fair few panels to address issues on both N/S & O/S A posts

41646714940_7fa210497f_k.jpgUntitled by james garner, on Flickr

If anybody has done the A posts before is reading this, I'm probably over thinking it but is it worth getting a spot welder to do these? or will the old drill a hole and fill with weld as I would normally?

#21 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,427 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 05:53 AM

Nice one, that looks the same as my last order haha, those door steps are great panels very impressed with them.

#22 Thelowrider

Thelowrider

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 06:01 AM

Nice one, that looks the same as my last order haha, those door steps are great panels very impressed with them.

How are you going about spotting them together?

#23 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,427 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 11:32 AM

Have a look at my Wedding car build thread, you will see the holes I have punched I am plug welding it all together, there is a guy on youtube called Sean C he does a few videos on the area as well they are worth a watch.

#24 Thelowrider

Thelowrider

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 06:24 PM

Have a look at my Wedding car build thread, you will see the holes I have punched I am plug welding it all together, there is a guy on youtube called Sean C he does a few videos on the area as well they are worth a watch.

fab! I shall have a look unless you would be so kind to pop a link on here for me :thumbsup:

Edited by Thelowrider, 17 July 2018 - 06:24 PM.

#25 Thelowrider

Thelowrider

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 05:12 PM

I’ve had a watch of the videos and fairly confident that in my mind what I was going to do is the same as he has, so will have a look at that this weekend.

Will upload some pictures later on once nippers are fast off of the floor, I’ve literally just been stripping the sound deadening off the floor along the joints of where I’ve either got to drill the spot welds out or where I’ll be welding too to limit chances of smelly fires!

Thanks again for the heads up @minimissions :thumbsup:

#26 Thelowrider

Thelowrider

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 09:49 PM

As i said above I made a start on stripping some of the sound deadening from the floor, I have done this across anything I'll need to drill the spot welds out of (mainly crossmember), also removed it from any edges that I'll be welding too.

29605256288_cd2fddc65f_k.jpgUntitled 

29605256328_d5399d1a4b_k.jpgUntitled 

28589612807_6d43e5812e_k.jpgUntitled 

28589613087_6d28896635_k.jpgUntitled 

I wont be making a start on the floor just yet until I've done the following. (Which I'm hoping to tackle this Sunday)

I need to remove the body off the spit.

I then need to fit both doors just to check if the body has flexed. (Going to take lots of pictures for refernce for when i do the A post repair.)

Once this is done and i'm happy i'm going to weld some braces in for when i'm going to tackle the floor making sure they dont obstruct me too much.

Also want to have a look at repairing the crossmember captives for holding the seat brackets as pretty much every single on snapped so will need to address that and I know with how my memory is if i dont do it now ill do everything and forget about it.

Until next time!

#27 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,427 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 05:32 AM

Nice progress, and your collection those panels and bits already nice work, get that grinder out on those A Post haha

#28 Thelowrider

Thelowrider

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 05:47 AM

Nice progress, and your collection those panels and bits already nice work, get that grinder out on those A Post haha

It won’t be long now until some fresh metal will be going in! :) hoping to get some progress to be made this Sunday :thumbsup:

#29 Thelowrider

Thelowrider

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 10:45 PM

Right so i didn't get as much done this weekend as i wanted too but progress is progress right?

So fitted both doors to make sure the body hadn't flex'd, ignore the door in the picture that's dented, the guy i previously bought it off either didn't store it very well or he got it like that. either way it will need a new skin on if it doesn't pop out, I haven't tried yet but its the least of my worries at the moment.

42671190605_7ae80ff25d_k.jpg

Next step was to put some bracing inside just to keep everything true and for references during the repairing of the floor and A post repairs etc.

41768262700_30f10c32e2_k.jpg

43529592002_586f48e86b_k.jpg

41768260550_af507e8849_k.jpg

While i was doing the bracing and other bits i got my mate to finish off removing the sound deadening on the other side.

42671196285_e2d86a5562_k.jpg

With the bracing complete I wanted to make sure the shell would do a complete rotation without fowling anything, I need to just do some adjustments to the bracing bar that runs from front to rear. 

42671197465_9ef3db586a_k.jpg

Only thing that's left framewise is to add a way of locking it off at multiple points as at the minute its using the existing holes from the engine stand with a screwdriver in it which isn't ideal. So I'll address that issue at some point this week when i get time.

29705474528_9d3c29f2bf_k.jpg

#30 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,427 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 11:44 AM

Nice work on the bracing side, I look forward to seeing some progress...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users