11 replies to this topic

#1 Vinnienova

Vinnienova

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 08:49 AM

I've recently acquired a classic mini 1990 and have an issue with the steering. It pulls to the left when letting go of the wheel. When I want to steer left its quite easy when I want to steer right it's stiff. Could anyone shed a light on what it could be without having to go through too many resolves before finding the issue? Many thanks

#2 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 05 July 2018 - 08:58 AM

By "Acquired", do you mean that you didn't "Buy" it from someone (that had probably experienced the same phenomenon) who could be required to correct the fault?.

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:07 AM

something is lose or misaligned jack it up and inspect it. I would not be driving it.

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,935 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:11 AM

Start off by checking the Air Pressure in the tyres.

#5 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 02:54 PM

as the last two said but I going with tracing , get some one at a garage to check it as cowboys could have been about and it danorus to you or others

cowboy = someone or persons who do not understand how older cars work as there very different to newer cars ....

#6 Vinnienova

Vinnienova

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 07:01 PM

Could tyre pressure make the steering that stiff one side? I was thinking tracking but am sure it's something more serious I drove it yesterday 40miles at a noble speed of 20mph to avoid any bad misshap. I would go back to the person whom I acquired it from but sadly they've passed away. Any other ideas before I take it to minimise as I could prob do the work myself. I'm only asking on here as I'm not going to be able to look at it for another few weeks and just need a few ideas first thanks

#7 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,935 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 07:22 PM

cowboy = someone or persons who do not understand how older cars work as there very different to newer cars ....

"cowboy

Wild, impulsive, living on the edge and taking risks without worrying about the consequences.
"That cowboy sure did leave a mess behind didn't he?"

#8 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,935 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 07:26 PM

Could tyre pressure make the steering that stiff one side? I was thinking tracking but am sure it's something more serious I drove it yesterday 40miles at a noble speed of 20mph to avoid any bad misshap. I would go back to the person whom I acquired it from but sadly they've passed away. Any other ideas before I take it to minimise as I could prob do the work myself. I'm only asking on here as I'm not going to be able to look at it for another few weeks and just need a few ideas first thanks

I suggested tyre pressure as it could well be just as simple as that and it's a very very inexpensive place to start.

If I can add, if the pressures and indeed the tyres are matched and OK, if you're none too familiar with these cars, I'm inclined to suggest you seek professional guidance of have someone who does know these cars look it over. Being what it is, as the other guys have touched on, it could be dangerous and not something you'd like to have a guess with.

#9 Vinnienova

Vinnienova

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:12 PM

Thanks Moke spider for your response I will check tyre pressure first but will be a few weeks just needed a few diff ideas as I've had a mini before and no a fair bit about them but not had an issue with steering before. If I can't resolve the issue I will def seek professional help with this but thanks again for your response. And a cowboy is a guy on a horse who looks after cows may even touch them who knows.

#10 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:57 PM

no a cowboy is garage monkey who uses a 13mm banner or thinks he's a garage monkey what is more danorus

Vinnienova find a garage that deals in old cars or the lads have had them in the past, ask about here there any where ,, ya need a mot station who's familiar with them, for problems like these treat em well as you here horrid stories' about some places or a lockal club member , you near stoke ?????

#11 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,935 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 10:11 PM

And a cowboy is a guy on a horse who looks after cows may even touch them who knows.

Sadly, that traditional type of Cowboy is in decline and the new urban cowboy is on the incline !! 

#12 Vinnienova

Vinnienova

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 10:43 PM

UK Cooper thanks for the advise and I am near Stoke so going to seek the help of mini mine if I can't sort it. I understand these things can be dangerous and will sort the issue which I'm sure is fixable lol and I know the difference between a new age cowboy (of many varieties) and an old age cowboy was just humouring myself. Cheers guys for your expert knowledge and caring nature's much appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users