6 replies to this topic

#1 GeorgeWhitworth

GeorgeWhitworth

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:43 AM

Hi everyone, i recently purchased my first mini and have an issue with my light bar, 3 of the lamps are foggy. i have had one off and tried to clean the inside but only looks clear when wet. any ideas of what to use?

Thanks for the help

https://imgur.com/a/2Jrz8Q9      <<<<<< See here

#2 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 01:34 PM

link didn't work for me but I had this with mine. From my understanding its down to the UV levels (light) wearing the surface of the plastic down. I think they deteriorate which distorts the light as it hits the plastic causing it to look cloudy. For the cost of some new ones I'm just replacing them as they're rusting too.

I believe you can restore them if you want to, from memory a few companies offer Headlight restoring kits. I'm sure they'll be a youtube video somewhere if you get stuck.

thanks

#3 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 02:46 PM

cleaned mine with oven cleaner ,took em all peace's filled em with oven cleaner and used long cotton buds to wipe around , wearing gloves and safety glass..

link not working

ps you don't want head lights when its foggy ya want as least light as possible or major spotlamps the rally kind mega buck's fog reflects light .........

edit = spelling again

Edited by ukcooper, 05 July 2018 - 02:47 PM.

#4 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 08:07 PM

Hi,

If they're plastic lenses polish them on the outside with brasso or a proper plastic headlight restoration kit. It's basically wet and dry sandpaper and a little polishing wheel with some polish.

Cheers  :proud:

#5 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 05 July 2018 - 08:11 PM

If it's just a plastic lens polish with some 1500/2000 wet n dry then polish with a cutting compound

#6 GeorgeWhitworth

GeorgeWhitworth

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 09:59 AM

Thanks everyone, its the actual fog light bar here is the image https://imgur.com/a/MUEubz0

i have had them apart but cant seem to get anything inside, will try cotton buds 

Cheers

#7 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,896 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 06 July 2018 - 12:48 PM

You've got the standard lamps so they're glass lenses. I put them face down and filled them upto the edge of the glass with vinegar and left for a week. Swilled them out after with water and left them on the radiator to dry. Made an improvement. Check my project thread for my exact method.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users