Photo
- - - - -

Pre-Verto Clutch In Verto Clutch Housing - Rubbing?

engine

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SomethingNew71

SomethingNew71

Speeding Along Now

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Local Club: Carolinas Classic Minis United

Posted 05 July 2018 - 04:46 PM

Hey Guys,

If you frequent multiple forums you will probably see this post on a few. 

So if you follow me on youtube you may have seen I am switching my gearbox up from an Austin America Remote box TO a standard Mini Rod Change box. With the swap though I decided I would keep the pre-verto clutch because its stronger and I didn't want to buy a bunch of new crap. Well upon mounting up the flywheel, clutch, and diaphgram it appears the BACK(side closest to pistons) of the flywheel is ever so slightly scraping the housing. Has anyone done a similar swap to this and experienced this? Were you able to fix it? The bolt is torqued down completely for sure, and the clutch assembly is installed properly.

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,927 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 05 July 2018 - 07:17 PM

I did once have a lightened flywheel that the ring-gear was fouling  on a part of the Clutch Housing.

I just ground a taper on the ring gear with that one and that resolved that issue.

They started fitting the Rod Shift Gearboxes to these engines way before the Verto Clutches, since 1973 in fact. The Verto wasn't introduced to the Engines fitted to the Mini until 1982and this was about 4 years after the introduction of the A+ Type Gearbox. I don't see that it's an early flywheel / clutch set up as being the issue, however, if it's an early 1300 type flywheel, that maybe the issue.

Are you able to put up photos of your flywheel (both sides) and the backing plate?  Also, what type of clutch plate are you fitting up?  A few pics of the clutch housing might also be helpful.

#3 SomethingNew71

SomethingNew71

Speeding Along Now

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Local Club: Carolinas Classic Minis United

Posted 05 July 2018 - 07:32 PM

I did once have a lightened flywheel that the ring-gear was fouling  on a part of the Clutch Housing.

I just ground a taper on the ring gear with that one and that resolved that issue.

They started fitting the Rod Shift Gearboxes to these engines way before the Verto Clutches, since 1973 in fact. The Verto wasn't introduced to the Engines fitted to the Mini until 1982and this was about 4 years after the introduction of the A+ Type Gearbox. I don't see that it's an early flywheel / clutch set up as being the issue, however, if it's an early 1300 type flywheel, that maybe the issue.

Are you able to put up photos of your flywheel (both sides) and the backing plate?  Also, what type of clutch plate are you fitting up?  A few pics of the clutch housing might also be helpful.

I can definitely post up some pictures when I get home from work tonight. I am wondering the same about the early 1300 flywheel which I am 90% sure it is, in fact, one of those. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users