23 replies to this topic

#1 Classicmini63

Classicmini63

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 04:28 PM

Buying some new coilovers springs for MITP. What poundage rate would you guys recommend? Front and back.

I’m not wanting it to be a rolls Royce, just after some stiffer, higher poundage springs so that I can give my dampers a break as they’re set to about 10 right now and it’s like a bouncy castle.

It’s an MPI too if that helps.

Cheers

Edited by Classicmini63, 06 July 2018 - 04:29 PM.

#2 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 05:31 PM

You sure the dampers aren't knackered? My MPi has Gaz dampers, and it rides quite acceptably even with them turned down.

#3 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 06 July 2018 - 08:04 PM

What springs have you got on now?

One of us is missing something, if you're after a softer ride then you need softer springs.

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 06 July 2018 - 09:35 PM

(I hope you don't mind, but I've moved this to the General P, Q & T area as it's not an MPI specific posting and you might get a broader range of answers here)

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 06 July 2018 - 11:36 PM

mmm bin them and fit new rubber cones.

the problem with coils is that there are no kits that actually work. the coil over kits give a falling rate design and the springs are linear so you have to fit stronger springs so that it does not wallow in corners. which gives a harsh ride.

do yourself a favour and bin them.

#6 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 07 July 2018 - 06:18 AM

You will be delighted at how much nicer your Mini is when you go back to rubber.

#7 grizzler73

grizzler73

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 08:51 AM

Car was designed for rubber cones so fit them. Simple really. Those little springs are dangerous. Do a search and you will find a lot of scary evidence for NOT using coils.

#8 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 10:12 AM

he does not have those daft little springs he has the incorrectly designed coil over kit

http://www.theminifo...-spring-change/

#9 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 07 July 2018 - 10:22 AM

As above, anything other than the rubber cone springs which the car was designed to run on will be detrimental the the ride, road-holding and handline.
The rubber cone springs are true rising rate springs with the rate increase being non-linear.
Coil springs are always less accurate in rate and can never compare well to rubber.
The only real application for a coil spring is for racing when a high initial spring rate is needed to reduce body roll at turn-in and where on a totally smooth track there is little suspension travel needed.

#10 Orange-Phantom

Orange-Phantom

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 02:11 PM

I pulled the springs off Project 45 and put Red Spot cones all round on it as well as solidly mounting the front sub frame.

Holly heck what a difference!!! Miles better is a total understatement. It now rides the bumps much smoother! Its now a total different car and I enjoy driving it much more. (Well also because I've basically rebuilt the whole car as Miniworld and their so called experts actually are totally incompetent and had no clue what they were actually doing). Anyway back on topic, before it would run out of travel, coil bind then bounce all over the road. No amount of damping would correct this! Please do yourself a huge favour and stay well clear of these idiotic springs that will screw up the handling and driving of your Mini.

#11 hhhh

hhhh

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 04:18 PM

I'm not defending or recommending them, but the Huddersfield web site shows coilovers with progressive springs. If the rate of progression in the spring exceeds the rate of falling induced by the link geometry, I don't see why they wouldn't be rising rate. I have to laugh that one of the springs is installed upside down. Not a big deal, but it's a subtle change in unsprung mass.

frontgazcoiloversnobrackets__44002.15102

Edited by hhhh, 07 July 2018 - 04:47 PM.

#12 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 06:21 PM

I'm not defending or recommending them, but the Huddersfield web site shows coilovers with progressive springs. If the rate of progression in the spring exceeds the rate of falling induced by the link geometry, I don't see why they wouldn't be rising rate. I have to laugh that one of the springs is installed upside down. Not a big deal, but it's a subtle change in unsprung mass.

frontgazcoiloversnobrackets__44002.15102

and that spring my just make the suspension rate linear but i dont think it would and it will still be a falling rate design.

a rising rate spring can still give a falling rate if the kit is crap.

why do you think my springs are mounted as they are?

iWeYZ4v.jpg

#13 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 07 July 2018 - 10:15 PM

The question has to be asked, why do some people think that coil springs will be an improvement on the proper rubber cone springs?

Could it be that those selling the coil spring kits have advertised that they give an overall improvement? Those vendors just want the money/profit. 

Work out how, for road use, they could be better.

On a race car, such as Nick's, they can make sense because the tracks are totally smooth. Find me public roads as smooth - you can't.

#14 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 08 July 2018 - 05:46 AM

The question has to be asked, why do some people think that coil springs will be an improvement on the proper rubber cone springs?

Could it be that those selling the coil spring kits have advertised that they give an overall improvement? Those vendors just want the money/profit. 

Work out how, for road use, they could be better.

On a race car, such as Nick's, they can make sense because the tracks are totally smooth. Find me public roads as smooth - you can't.

,,,,,,,"the tracks are totally smooth"........

You never raced at Llandow, or even Brands Hatch in the 60's !

And the answers to your opening question are:-

1)  Because they are ignorant.

2) Because they are gullible.

#15 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:13 AM

Hi,
I think in at lot of cases people see coil overs on race cars, not just minis-all types of car, and therefore assume coil overs must be the best thing to fit.
I also think a lot of people have never driven a mini on new rubber cones to realise what they are like?
Cheers :)

Edited by Bat, 08 July 2018 - 07:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users