23 replies to this topic

#16 Chris.Williams

Chris.Williams

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 08:28 AM

I fitted new rubbers to my clubby, green dot I think they were, made for a beautiful ride.
I also fitted new dampers, hilos and camber kits front and rear.....do it properly I say, no half measures.
On a side note..... Our roads are a dogs breakfast!

#17 hhhh

hhhh

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 03:52 AM

nicklouse, on 07 Jul 2018 - 11:21 AM, said:

a rising rate spring can still give a falling rate if the kit is crap.

why do you think my springs are mounted as they are?
iWeYZ4v.jpg

Agreed, the amount of progression in the progressive spring could be insufficient. I can't tell from your picture if those springs are progressive or not, they look roughly the same top and bottom, so I'm guessing not. But I can see you've improved the stability of the rate over the suspension travel vs. coilovers in the stock setup.

Edited by hhhh, 09 July 2018 - 04:54 AM.

#18 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,844 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 09 July 2018 - 07:28 AM

nicklouse, on 07 Jul 2018 - 11:21 AM, said:

a rising rate spring can still give a falling rate if the kit is crap.

why do you think my springs are mounted as they are?

Agreed, the amount of progression in the progressive spring could be insufficient. I can't tell from your picture if those springs are progressive or not, they look roughly the same top and bottom, so I'm guessing not. But I can see you've improved the stability of the rate over the suspension travel vs. coilovers in the stock setup.

I'd also say it has something to do with the angle he has them mounted at too ;D

#19 Classicmini63

Classicmini63

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 08:48 AM

Telling me to change back to cones is really not what I asked but you’re all entitled to your opinions.

I installed the huddersfield GAZ coilovers a couple of years back simply because I wanted the car lower. In (my) opinion the mini handles far better on coilovers, but I have the dampers adjusted so that it won’t catch on the arches as it is so low. I also don’t go throwing my mini around bends like an idiot so even if they are worse for road holding it really wouldn’t bother me.

Not sure why I’m being slated for my own modification choices? I could say rubber cones are outdated and so on, but I really could not care less what any one else does to their car.

Thanks for those who actually answered my question and were of help.

#20 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:02 AM

Telling me to change back to cones is really not what I asked but you’re all entitled to your opinions.

I installed the huddersfield GAZ coilovers a couple of years back simply because I wanted the car lower. In (my) opinion the mini handles far better on coilovers, but I have the dampers adjusted so that it won’t catch on the arches as it is so low. I also don’t go throwing my mini around bends like an idiot so even if they are worse for road holding it really wouldn’t bother me.

Not sure why I’m being slated for my own modification choices? I could say rubber cones are outdated and so on, but I really could not care less what any one else does to their car.

Thanks for those who actually answered my question and were of help.

so you are now trying to fix the too soft springs by making the damping stiffer? that is not what DAMPERs do. the control the up and down speed of motion of the wheel through its travel (they are not travel adjusters).  you need to either mod the body or move your bump stops.

#21 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:06 AM

I'm no expert on suspension and have no opinion on coil springs.

So currently you're using the dampers set high, to in effect, limit the suspension travel?

So if you get stronger springs to limit the suspension travel, you'll still have a really poor ride?

Unless you come up with a way to stop the wheel rubbing and giving you back your full travel.

#22 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,844 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:35 AM

As you are finding, as the car is set statically lower, you are reducing the compression travel distance that you have left, so, really a few ways forward on that but IMO, none are desirable for a road going car as they all end up making the suspension stiffer than is otherwise required and appropriate for the weight of the car.

Everything's a compromise and it's about finding that 'balance' between acceptable / unacceptable.

I really think, regardless of springing medium, you are finding what you have falls in to the unacceptable category with no sensible way forward.

#23 grizzler73

grizzler73

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:05 PM

The conclusion you are getting is obviously not what you wanted, i.e "Fit this and that and it will sort out your ride".

Seems the consensus from people a lot more knowledgeable than me, seems to be to get rid of the coils because they will always be a compromise.

Sometimes you ask a question and the answer is not what you wanted, doesn't mean the answer is wrong though.

I have asked may questions on here and got brilliant answers, but most of the time they were not what I expected.

#24 hhhh

hhhh

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 02:04 PM

There may be some confusion here as to what "adjusting the dampers" means to each poster. Literally, it means adjusting the damping force, which, except in extreme circumstances, doesn't change the ride height. Others may think it to mean adjusting the spring pre-load, with "dampers" referring to the whole unit comprising damper and spring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users