#1 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 04:06 PM

Hi All,

Today while putting my wheel back on I snapped a wheel stud. Wasn’t even hand tight and broke clean off so obviously wasn’t up to much.

Question is I’ve never replaced one before is it considered home job ? I’ll change all 4 at the same time and buy new wheel nuts as well.

Anything of note before I tackle it save me coming across the same problems ?

Thanks

#2 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 05:11 PM

just need something to wack them out with, punch , screwdriver or anything and a hammer. The stud is a spline were it enters the drive flange. 

#3 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 05:19 PM

Cool, guessing it’s the reverse refitting the new ones?

#4 Swift_General

Swift_General

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 05:23 PM

Cool, guessing it’s the reverse refitting the new ones?

#5 Swift_General

Swift_General

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 05:26 PM

If you've broken a stud without overtightening it, personally I would be replacing all 16 studs for the cost of them. Either they are of inferior quality or have been overtigtened by a previous owner.

#6 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 05:32 PM

i sheered one of mine with a small bar maybe 9inch sat on my ass with only one arm. It was getting tighter, not tight enough then i felt it yeild and snap. was like ffs. 

#7 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 05:46 PM

i sheered one of mine with a small bar maybe 9inch sat on my ass with only one arm. It was getting tighter, not tight enough then i felt it yeild and snap. was like ffs.

Exactly what happened as it got tight the stud carried on. Guessing the wheels not been off for a while. I will but for now I want to drive it as I’ve only owned it a week and it’s been broken since minis ayy

#8 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 07 July 2018 - 06:17 PM

you can see the spline here. not you many need to remove the drive flange/hub to remove/fit some lengths.

WNrZvFX.jpg

#9 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 06:26 PM

I’ll have a look tomorrow evening to see how long they are. I believe they’re 35mm I think. I’ll tackle it in the week and hopefully be able to drive it next weekend ?

#10 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 05:19 PM

So I’ve done some measuring today and looks like I actually have two different sizes fitted. The length of the thread is 23-25mm long and the overall length looks about 35mm long. I’d say I need these http://www.minispare...nhoCabUQAvD_BwE but They have no stock. Another one broke putting the wheel back on :( using my torque wrench didn’t even click and it **** itself. My question is what hell am I doing wrong or are they just that old that they’ve had years of being over tightened and now they’re dead.

Looks like A local supplier may have some uprated ones so fingers crossed I’ll get them swapped this week

Attached Files

Edited by Dandyer1995, 08 July 2018 - 05:46 PM.

#11 RooBoonix

RooBoonix

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 06:57 PM

What are you torquing them up to? I'd definitely be changing all the wheel studs as they have either been abused in the past or are just very poor quality items..

#12 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:05 PM

What are you torquing them up to? I'd definitely be changing all the wheel studs as they have either been abused in the past or are just very poor quality items..

60nm as per Haynes, the last one didn't even get there and it gave up. I remember seeing my old fella change a wheel and literally standing on the bar to make sure it was tight so can't believe how weak these are O_O  bloody scared to take the wheel off now! I'd planned to change the wheels so I think I'll have to bring this forward & change all 16. (I need to fit longer ones for the new wheels anyway. For the price shall I just change the Drive flanges and have completely new set up?

#13 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:48 PM

Being such a high grade tensile fastener, although they are 'strong', they don't like getting bent, not even in the slightest bit, that will break them quick smart and usually at the drive flange. Just wonder if that's what may have happened at some point?

#14 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:54 PM

the car came with a 9" bar and a socket for the wheels. I may be wrong but I don't think a torque wrench was ever used, they look old so could have potentially seen years of overtightening and abuse. Either that or I need to stop going to the gym ;) i'll take some pictures when they're out in the next few days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users